X

any advice would be much appreciated

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any advice would be much appreciated

I have a 2002 Kat 600. My daily driver. 16k miles. Runs perfect. No problems at all. I love this bike. Well recently went to leave friends house and went to start but nothing at all happened. Hit start button button didn't even make a click noise u will usually hear if starter is seizing. Well I tried to make it down with the trusty ol multimeter. Took start button apart and there is 12v getting to the coil when I press start button and the wires there... OK. Battery is 12.7v as well. Brand new battery. OK checked all wires and grounds. All connections are great. Nothing loose our corroded. I know it's not kick stand sensor BC I can jump my bike and it runs perfect. I've a also got power to my relay from starter. Measured it as well. Checked all fuses even the ones in the relay from starter.. Also sometimes when I try starting later it will start by button again, although this latest time having no such luck unless I jump it off. I really still think it's intermittent? What u guys think? Thanks for any help!
    Just wanted to say I've tested battery. Tested start button. Relay although not sure if I did correctly. It's getting power thru it via multimeter so believe it's OK.. When I hit start button makes no noise at all
    Last edited by tbeeler; 04-16-2016, 10:32 AM.

Your getting 12v on the small wires at the relay, correct? Relay doesn't activate, correct? Yes to both, change the relay..
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

+1 92xjunker..

Measure for voltage at the relay.
      Feel or listen for it "clicking".
      No voltage work your way back, to the switch.

When you jump it do you mean jump the relay?

Comment

Sorry didn't mean to say jump meant to say it will roll start just fine. Relay clicks so it seems fine. It's working again for the moment. I worked the wire s bit and starts right up... So intermittent? I will track this site by wire and eventually find it
        Last edited by tbeeler; 04-16-2016, 06:36 PM.

Comment

If it clicks and doesn't turn over check the voltage on the starter side of the relay, I'll bet you get nothing. Internals starting to wear. Pick a relay now so when it finally fails it's on hand..
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Can I ask if you found a solution to this in the end? I am having exactly the same problem with my 98 kat.
            Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X