X

82 gs1000sz finally taking shape

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by branumhawk View Post
    I've been riding everyday. Have two daily riders for now a K4 750 and a KZ1000. Been dodging the rain clouds lately. Paid for the lower end and arranging shipping on Monday. Going to use my cases so serial numbers are synched up and put in the crank and tranny from the bike with 4281 miles instead of parts from the true survivor I have with 95,000 actual miles registered before the aftermarket speedo was added. It was rusted out when I removed it and looked like it had been on there forever.

I am going put an indexing rod through the small holes on the rods to see if what I have and what I am getting is straight.
    We've had lousy weather here, this spring. Cold, rainy, then hot, now cold & rainy, again.... I've got a couple small projects going, I hate waiting on parts. Oh well, I have several bikes that are ride-able so it's not an issue. You are doing some serious work on the Kat, I wait to see it completed.
    GS1000SZ, GS1100EZ, GS1000ST (Wes Cooley)

Comment

I am going put an indexing rod through the small holes on the rods to see if what I have and what I am getting is straight.
      Also, make sure the rods are 493 rods if it is supposed to be a true Katana crankshaft.
      Ray.
      85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

• Thanks Ray. I will check it for sure. Haven't forgot your offer to answer a few questions and its much appreciated.

I got both cases, crank, trans, cam chain etc. and its from the bike I got speedo off of, so it should be correct.

Got the complete gasket set coming from my friend Paul Miller who has a shop down the street. He has offered to let me use special tools to make life easier, rotor puller etc. He setup the heavy duty clutch basket on my bike for the previous owner so he knows its history.

Paul is drag racing legend, around Louisiana for sure. You may even know him. Thanks for help.

Joe,

I have am in waiting on parts mode myself. Being 5 years since I found the bike I can deal with a little extra time. When it is all in, I plan on getting on it till its done. You know I go in spurts and and I am ready for for a sound motor. Not looking to build a trailer queen even if it looks better than furniture in my living room. Thanks for all your help.

Weather has been good here, I broke a fuel t on my K4 when I put it up and since I replaced it and got it back on the road, it runs better than it ever did. Pulling air from somewhere I guess.

I am moving from Katana 101 to course level 102
        Last edited by branumhawk; 06-03-2015, 08:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Take your time and do it right. I had mine sitting without touching it for 6 years..... bought it right before the recession, then, I ran out of cash to do the restoration. Just finished it up a year or so ago.

Got an minor oil leak on my Kat, coming from the clutch cover area. I think it may be from the gasket on the clutch cover. I changed out my old pitted cover for a new cover last fall. I'm hoping I didn't get the gasket sealed properly.... working on that, tomorrow.

Comment

• Motor is shipping out today UPS. I plan on going very slowly and making sure everything is right. With Ray's expertise when I have questions and my buddy down the street, I feel confident about getting it done right.

Once my motor is running with as fresh a build as I can muster with the parts I got, I will get back to details. I know I am going to have to rebuild the brake system front and back, haven't even got to that yet.

Got to the point I was ready to put it together to see what it looked like for a little inspiration. I kinda figured I would be rebuilding the engine.

Good luck with the leak, can't wait till I get to problems like that Have a good one.

Comment

• Gasket set arrived before the lower end. Like the looks of the new instrumentation as well.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by branumhawk; 06-08-2015, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Gasket set arrived before the lower end. Like the looks of the new instrumentation as well.
                Looks good.....

Comment

• From what I understand there is no corelation from engine number to vin number as to the last so many digits. Both my original cases and the lower end I got in today are coded as japan, T for 999< cc's and 82 year model. The last digits are different but neither match the last didgits on the Vin number of the title. Getting ready to take it down and see what I got.

It has the 493 rods. Picked the motor for 150 bucks. Has some damage around pulse coil area on case cover but doesnt appear to be in oil bearing location. Plan to use my cases anyway, doesn't look like engine number matches any of my documentation though. Same bike that speedometer came from.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by branumhawk; 06-11-2015, 06:14 PM.

Comment

• Wow you work fast
                    1998 Katana 750
                    1992 Katana 1100
                    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

• Labor of Love...can't wait to see the results!
                      79 Honda Red CBX, 79 Honda Silver CBX, 82 Suzuki 1000 Katana, 76 Kawasaki KZ900, 84 VF1000F, 07 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol, 95 CB1000 Big One, 1987 Hondaxl600R, 1978 Honda XL250S, 2006 Yamaha TW200

Comment

• I looked the motor over good today and it is very clean, crank taper is as new, no scarring behind clutch basket and all the screw back there look virgin. No evidence of excessive moisture.

Here is a shot of indexing rod that fed through all four rods and turned back and forth with two fingers easily with no slop. Crank appears to be in great condition and rest of visible evidence looks to be consistent with the mileage from working speedometer on the bike. I also picked up the pulse coils from this bike as well. It had a little damage on outside housing that was tig welded and finished off nicely, that has no effect on operation will not really be visible besides a couple chipped cooling fins under that area.

Research shows that engine numbers were random, so it makes no sense to me to split cases to swap crank and transmission into my cases. I went ahead and removed my flywheel, clutch basket, starter and will probably pull that lower end out tomorrow. Then move my studs over one at a time. My gasket set contains the O rings for the front two head bolts as well. Sure helps having the right tools, air impact, pullers and stud puller installer tool etc.

Clutch has high pressure springs and an old kit from way back that added extra discs, but the cork discs were on steel not aluminum. Result is it gaulled up the basket a bit. Pretty sure I can remedy that but not sure if it will be worth it if I can get one at the right price. Already moved the flywheel to the other engine. Have a lot of case cleaning and painting to do. Going to pull the bottom case and inspect oil pump pickup put a new gasket.

I new I was going to be in the motor before it was over when I put it together the first time to see what it looked like. Re assembly will be a easier as I have sorted and sourced the bolts, etc and it wont be my first rodeo. Much better feeling knowing what is going together adding new parts where needed where it counts, in the engine.

Any I am open to suggestions if someone thinks I should still use my original cases,but it seems to be the best and easiest route based what I see with this lower unit.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by branumhawk; 06-12-2015, 06:16 PM.

Comment

• For what it's worth, I think you are on the right track. I envy you for having the knowledge and patience to take on such a project. The pics you posted look really good, I think you did well. Keep the pics coming.

Comment

• Pulled bottom case cover and went over lower end exterior with a brush and soapy water. Followed by degreaser, then Gumout carb and choke cleaner.

I touched up case with duplicolor engine paint 500 ceramic and pulled the studs from old motor and cleaned them up. Doesn't sound like much but it took all morning. Got a few before and after I started pics. Looks like I am going to get another clutch basket and new discs. Not putting it back together with half ass parts.

Motor in the bike is looking bare, going to remove it from frame tomorrow.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by branumhawk; 06-13-2015, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Pulled bottom case cover and went over lower end exterior with a brush and soapy water. Followed by degreaser, then Gumout carb and choke cleaner.

I touched up case with duplicolor engine paint 500 ceramic and pulled the studs from old motor and cleaned them up. Doesn't sound like much but it took all morning. Got a few before and after I started pics. Looks like I am going to get another clutch basket and new discs. Not putting it back together with half ass parts.

Motor in the bike is looking bare, going to remove it from frame tomorrow.
                              Did you get that basket from over at GSR? I saw your post.

Comment

• Hey Joe,

No, I scored one ebay for 55 bucks, complete basket. From the pictures I downloaded and magnified out to maximum legitimate resolution, the basket looks good. Going to put new fibre discs anyway. Wanted the one from same bike, but he didn't get back to me until 10 minutes after I had bought one.

I got a reply from a racer with several extra stock baskets in good shape at 60 for just basket itself. Got to let him know I got one, and thank him for his response.

One of my short studs is bent slightly so I will go back to Paul's and rob another off the carcass at his shop where I got a replacement for one I had to drill out. Dressed up the cosmetic damage around pulse plate so you can not tell it existed in the first place. Getting ready to pull original engine now.

Comment

Working...
                                X