750cc Guys....Decel backfires

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 750cc Guys....Decel backfires

Hey there,

Just wondering if the 750's are known for those little "backfires" on decal while blip throttle down shifting down to a complete stop. Maybe not so much backfires, (bad choice of word perhaps), but more like girgles/backfires. Hard to explain. Anyways, mine does it and just wanted to be sure that's normal. I suspect I may be running a little rich. But I guess its better than running too lean. Other then the little backfires on decal, the bike runs tip top. Also have the Delkevic slip on installed. She's loud, but want it louder...lol

My Kat is a 2002 fyi
    Last edited by MotorBikeMike; 05-03-2016, 12:23 PM.

Originally posted by MotorBikeMike View Post
    Hey there,

Just wondering if the 750's are known for those little "backfires" on decal while blip throttle down shifting down to a complete stop. Maybe not so much backfires, (bad choice of word perhaps), but more like girgles/backfires. Hard to explain. Anyways, mine does it and just wanted to be sure that's normal. I suspect I may be running a little rich. But I guess its better than running too lean. Other then the little backfires on decal, the bike runs tip top. Also have the Delkevic slip on installed. She's loud, but want it louder...lol

My Kat is a 2002 fyi
    I have the exact set up, 2002 750 with the Delkevic slip on, with silencer removed.

My bike does the same thing, if I am not mistaken it is "afterfire", just cruising and down shifting not so much, but doing a little "agresive" yes.
    2002 750 Kat
    2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
    2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
    2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
    1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
    2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

AFTERFIRE on decel is a lean condition, turn the A/F screws out to 2.5 turns from seated.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by dano68 View Post
        I have the exact set up, 2002 750 with the Delkevic slip on, with silencer removed.

My bike does the same thing, if I am not mistaken it is "afterfire", just cruising and down shifting not so much, but doing a little "agresive" yes.
        Good to know...thanks. Like yours, it only happens when I am being aggressive with her. Riding normally, it doesn't do it when I decel.

How do you remove the silencer? I would love to hear what it sounds like without it in.

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
        AFTERFIRE on decel is a lean condition, turn the A/F screws out to 2.5 turns from seated.

Is it the single screw that you can see through the fairing?

Comment

No, they are on the bottom of the carb. After market cans/ exhaust will lean the fuel mixture out. You compensate by adding a touch more fuel (A/F screws).
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran

Comment

Okay...thanks man. I was hoping not to take the fairings off....*sigh*

Comment

Good to know...thanks. Like yours, it only happens when I am being aggressive with her. Riding normally, it doesn't do it when I decel.
              How do you remove the silencer? I would love to hear what it sounds like without it in.
              Is it the single screw that you can see through the fairing?
              At the outlet of the exhaust on the bottom there is a (can not remember if it is a hex head or Phillips screw) 1 only, remove and pull silencer out. That easy

There is difference not huge but noticeable.

Just checked 4mm Allen key will take it out
              Last edited by dano68; 05-03-2016, 01:53 PM.
              2002 750 Kat
              2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800

Comment

SWEET!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Dano

Comment

Originally posted by dano68 View Post
                  At the outlet of the exhaust on the bottom there is a (can not remember if it is a hex head or Phillips screw) 1 only, remove and pull silencer out. That easy

There is difference not huge but noticeable.

Just checked 4mm Allen key will take it out
                  Took it out last night......LUV IT!!!!! Throwing that silencer right in the garbage....lol

Comment

Took it out last night......LUV IT!!!!! Throwing that silencer right in the garbage....lol
                    Did not throw mine out, I have it in a bin with spare parts for the Kat
                    2002 750 Kat
                    2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800

Comment

Backfire on decel was your original complaint,normally caused by a lean condition.Removing the silencer will make it more lean?? Gonna have to turn out the mixture screws a little
                      Last edited by 4wred; 05-05-2016, 07:54 AM.
                      Bikes:89 1100f 88 1100f 82 goldwing aspencade 82 goldwing naked

Comment

Is there a way to know if the engine is too lean or too rich? Usually with cars ECU's its easy to figure out. But how do you do it with a bike with carbs? I'd rather not mess with the mixture unless I know whats running at before making adjustments.

Comment

Stock A/F settings are all over the place, 2.5 turns out is the recommended setting. Anybody who asks for this kind of help, sets the A/F screws to 2.5 turns out.
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran

Comment

Is there a way to know if the engine is too lean or too rich? Usually with cars ECU's its easy to figure out. But how do you do it with a bike with carbs? I'd rather not mess with the mixture unless I know whats running at before making adjustments.
                            Dyno the bike, or install an oxygen sensor in the mid pipe and ride around with it hooked up to a data logger, or go by spark plug color.
                            There's also something called an idle drop. Look it up in the wiki. That'll dial the bike in at idle at least. If you stripped the can, might want to consider a jet kit so you can easily richen up the mid and top end a bit too.
                            1998 Katana 750
                            1992 Katana 1100
                            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I'm running with essentially an open Yoshi can. I removed the resonator and most of the packing and stored them both in the closet of my girlfriend's apartment. The bike does make some minor popping every now and then (not all the time, just on decel after hard riding every so often if its below 60 degrees outside) but I love the sound. Been running this way for 500 or so miles now with no ill effects.
                              Last edited by clevelandmanwhore; 05-22-2016, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X