X

REMINDER: EBC REAR BRAKE PADS...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REMINDER: EBC REAR BRAKE PADS...

Just a note for anyone thinking about putting the EBC HH (or other EBC) pads on the rear of the Kats:

REMOVE THE FACTORY REAR BRAKE PAD SHIMS BEFORE INSTALLING EBC REAR PADS

Installed a set before the rally, and they never seated right. After talking with EBC's race tech support, they agreed that the pads should not be installed with the factory rear brake shims (see Item #11 at RonAyers.com/fiche/300_0298/rear_caliper/rear_caliper.cfm). They will be looking into packaging that info in with the rear pads from now on (as either a sticker or as a sheet of paper) to keep others from running into the same issues.

Side note: they were nice enough to send new pads. Still waiting for the rear rotor they promised to send as a make-up present...

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Another good reason to use SBS pads................. (hee-hee)
    I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
    Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
    Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by Special K
      Another good reason to use SBS pads................. (hee-hee)
      With or without the shims?

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I go with................

and you know, I wondered when I get even the slightest chance to even try & bust your chops a little! Man, if this is sport - it's too tough! You're difficult to catch at it! (hee-hee)
        I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
        Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
        Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

After nine pages of Brakes/ Suspension I find this. Good to know because I'm looking for Ideas on pushing the pistons back into the caliper for the read brake. Ive done alot of auto brakes but this is actually my first maint item done by myself (not covered in the service plan i guess) on the Kat and I just bought EBC-FA63 and have them all set up to install with shimes. After finding this I'll be leaving them out. Thanks
          sigpic

Comment

I bought a set of rear SBS pads off of Special K just before last winter and installed them WITH the shims and haven't had any problems with them.
            R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Spreading rear calipers

- remove the two bolts that hold on the caliper and pull it off the rotor
              - if you are not going to rebuild the caliper clean it well with a toothbrush and a simple green soap mix (remove pads to get at the pistons)
              - rinse it well and let dry
              - slip old pads and holding pins back in caliper
              - remove rear reservoir cover
              - slip a large regular screwdriver in between the pads dead in the middle
              - Turn the screwdriver and the calipers will recess themselves with very little rotational energy on the screwdriver
              - pull out old pads, replace with new(install shims if required), bolt caliper back up, bleed system (remember there are two fittings on the rear caliper), fill reservoir, replace cap

Comment

Re: Spreading rear calipers

Complete write up, step by step, here:

and bleeding +etc instructions (with pics) here:

Special Cautions:
                1. Brake caliper seals: factory service manual calls for replacing them any time the caliper piston will be moved backwards in the bore. My rule of thumb is to replace them as often as you'd replace the brake lines, and clean & coat with red rubber grease any other time you'd re-use them. A set of seals (enough to do 1 caliper) is about $12 last time I checked.
                2. Brake caliper pistons: this is, aside from the seals, pretty much the single most critical part. Dirty, corroded, pitted or otherwise less-than-perfect pistons will devour seals, make themselves stick in their travels (either in or out), and are the primary cause aside from sand for most brake failures. Removing and cleaning them is highly recommended, and for those who are pressed for time or want the easy way out, Suzuki sells complete rebuild kits including both the seals and pistons as a single packaged item.

Pretty much everything else (and quite a bit of what was mentioned here) is discussed in detail in those two threads. Note that I sell the OEM seals, as well as the OEM seal+piston kits for the 98+ models.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Last edited by The CyberPoet; 01-19-2008, 02:49 PM.
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

well that is nice, about 300 miles ago I just put on my HH pads....with the shims...DAMNIT!

Comment

i've seen this thread back when cyber started it. My question is this: is there a warning or anything like that from ebc? or are they even planning on it? I could possibly see some legal issues possible with this if they don't share the info.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

I have no clue. They said they were planning on including one based on the info I discussed with them; whether they have or not is beyond me, as I haven't worn through my brakes since.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post

Special Cautions:
                        1. Brake caliper seals: factory service manual calls for replacing them any time the caliper piston will be moved backwards in the bore. My rule of thumb is to replace them as often as you'd replace the brake lines, and clean & coat with red rubber grease any other time you'd re-use them. A set of seals (enough to do 1 caliper) is about $12 last time I checked.
                        2. Brake caliper pistons: this is, aside from the seals, pretty much the single most critical part. Dirty, corroded, pitted or otherwise less-than-perfect pistons will devour seals, make themselves stick in their travels (either in or out), and are the primary cause aside from sand for most brake failures. Removing and cleaning them is highly recommended, and for those who are pressed for time or want the easy way out, Suzuki sells complete rebuild kits including both the seals and pistons as a single packaged item.

Pretty much everything else (and quite a bit of what was mentioned here) is discussed in detail in those two threads.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet

I get "This board is unavailable" - damit and i needed to read it

Comment

I'm bumping this to the top to remind me.....

I need to email EBC about this as I have an EBC rear rotor, pads and a caliper rebuild kit waiting in the wings.. I think I'm going to go ahead and put on a Z6 tire at the same time.........

Chris

Comment

I just put a set of EBC HH's on the rear of my bike without the shims and they seem to be working well.

On another note, are the front pads different left to right?

I just purchased a set for the front and they are different part numbers.

I got EBC# FA231HH and FA229HH. After some research on the web, I haven't found a definitive answer.
                            Black IS the fastest color!

Comment

Originally posted by badroc13 View Post
                              I get "This board is unavailable" - damit and i needed to read it
                              What you need is the thread decoder ring:

It lets you match old URL's (those without the term /vb/ in the URL) to the new topic numbers...

Thus:

becomes
                              Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
                              swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
                              Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.

and bleeding +etc instructions with pic here:
                              A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
                              mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

Originally posted by TT120 View Post
                              I just put a set of EBC HH's on the rear of my bike without the shims and they seem to be working well.

On another note, are the front pads different left to right?
                              YES

Originally posted by TT120 View Post
                              I got EBC# FA231HH and FA229HH. After some research on the web, I haven't found a definitive answer.
                              That's correct. Left and right are mirror images of each other, since the inner and outer pads are not the same size.

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Last edited by The CyberPoet; 01-07-2008, 11:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X