GSXR Body on 2003 Katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSXR Body on 2003 Katana

Hello Everyone!!

First time posting here, just joined KatRiders.com this morning. Ok, to my question. First, I'm buying a 2003 Katana for $500.00, the only damage is to the left side of the bike where the former owner dropped it while at a stop light (that's the story anyway). So, I know I'll be replacing some body panels. I'm told the upper fairing is broken as well as the left lower. I know it's crazy to buy sight un-seen, but for $500.00 for a running bike, it didn't seem like a bad deal. I'll post pictures as soon as I can. I think I'm going to remove all body panels from the bike to make sure everything is true i.e. the frame, etc. But, I'm wondering if some older GSXR plastic will fit the newer Katana, specifically the 97-00 year GSXR.

Regards,
    Bubba

500? is it stolen?

with time and money you can make anything fit. you should definitely check the frame before you buy the bike. cyberpoet has a used bike buying guide around here somewhere....

Long Live the D

Comment

No, it isn't stolen. It has a clear title. I was told the former owner was a 16 or 17 year old kid whose parents bought the bike for him. When the accident occurred, they (the parents) said that's it, get rid of it. So, he sold it to the person I'm buying from. Not sure what he sold it for, but I'm buying it from this guy for $500.00. I guess, I have another question too. Are the frames of these two bikes alike? The 97-00 GSXR 600 and the 2003 Katana 600?

Comment

I'd bet you could make it fit, without a WHOLE lot of trouble, but consider this:

Everybody will either think your "Gixxer" is a dog, or that you don't know how to ride. Are you sure you want that kind of talk?
        "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubba_T
          Are the frames of these two bikes alike? The 97-00 GSXR 600 and the 2003 Katana 600?
          i'd imagine the frames are very different. the kat uses a steel frame where the gixxer is an aluminum (or some other light metal) frame

Long Live the D

Comment

Well, I've been doing some googling and found the 00-03 GSXR "Hot Boddies" kit for $568.75. Not bad for the whole kit. As far as it being a dog, nah, not worried about that, 80 HP is plenty for a bike. You don't need gobs of HP to make some squid on his brand new R1 look like a rookie. I had a buddy I used to ride with who had an old 92 CBR 600. The engine was stock, but he raced on the WERA circuit and could ride circles around me on my CBR 954 RR (have since sold it).

I guess I need to look at a 00-03 GSXR and take some measurements. If there isn't that much of a difference, I believe I can do it. Also, I've got a friend who owns a machine shop, so I could have him fabricate any brackets I may need.

Comment

go for it let us know how it goes
              wanted a busa but bought a kat like it alot very nice to ride lol

Comment

Well, I've been doing some googling and found the 00-03 GSXR "Hot Boddies" kit for $568.75. Not bad for the whole kit. As far as it being a dog, nah, not worried about that, 80 HP is plenty for a bike. You don't need gobs of HP to make some squid on his brand new R1 look like a rookie. I had a buddy I used to ride with who had an old 92 CBR 600. The engine was stock, but he raced on the WERA circuit and could ride circles around me on my CBR 954 RR (have since sold it).

I guess I need to look at a 00-03 GSXR and take some measurements. If there isn't that much of a difference, I believe I can do it. Also, I've got a friend who owns a machine shop, so I could have him fabricate any brackets I may need.
                Bubba, if your interested I have a hotbodies kit for an 03 GSXR in the garage right now. It's in primer, no cracks, and includes the upper/lower/tail/windscreen. Let me know if you're interested, I'd go $350+shipping costs.

Comment

Actually, I'd be very interested in that body kit. What's the picture of in your post? It says Frankenkat. Did you do those mods?

Comment

That actually sounds like an awesome project. Keep us informed.
                    "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                    JOHN 16:33

Comment

Actually, I'd be very interested in that body kit. What's the picture of in your post? It says Frankenkat. Did you do those mods?
                      Thats my frankenkat...custom bodywork, suspenions, and tons of other mods all homebrew. You can check it out under the katana of the Month August posting.

I checked my bodywork again, here is a link to the hotbodies page with what I have.

Hotbodies Racing offers you the highest quality Windscreens, Undertails, Huggers, Exhausts, LED Blinkers, Carbon Fiber and Bodywork products, globally.

If you're still interested drop me a PM

Comment

im sure someone already fitted a gixer fairing to a kat on here!!!

yup...nighthawk

check here

i pitty the fool that dont ride oldskool

Comment

hey i have a 2002 katana i bought it without fairings and was wondering if the fairings would fit. id like to know how its going.

Comment

Holy zombie threads! It's alive!
                            -
                            -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

My brains! AHHHHHHHH!
                              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                              Originally posted by soulless kaos
                              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X