X

Valve Adjustment

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Adjustment

Has anyone done a valve adjustment? if so how hard is it to do and how long will it take.

i just did one on my 89' 600. It was pretty easy untighin the lock nut adjust it, use a feeler gauge and turn the motor over and repeat. I have the downloaded maunal if u want the adjusting part?

Comment

It takes a few hours the first time around.

Don't forget the bike is suppose to be cold when checked, so it has to have been sitting overnight or so to get the best reading.

If you have a digital camera take pics as you go, that way if you forget how it goes back together you have a picture to look at, this is mainly for cable routing and coil connections.
      Kyle

Comment

The first time, schedule yourself 6 to 7 hours, including stripping & reassembling the bike's bodywork. Once you get well acquainted with it, you can get it down to about 2-1/2 hours, with much of that time being removing and reinstalling the fairings and tank. With everything out of the way, actually adjusting the valves can take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour, depending on how many are out of spec and how good you are at setting them right the first time around.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Next Question: What are the gap specs for intake and exhaust

Thanks for the input so far! Can anyone tell me the Gap specs for intake and exhaust? 02 750

Comment

Re: Next Question: What are the gap specs for intake and exh

Originally posted by kwoodie26
            Thanks for the input so far! Can anyone tell me the Gap specs for intake and exhaust? 02 750
            ALL 98+ models (both engine sizes) use these specs (measured stone-cold):

INTAKE: .004 - .006"
            EXHAUST: .007 - .009"

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Cyberpoet you are awesome

Thanks a lot everyone this will make my sunday more enjoyable!!

Comment

Just make sure you do it right. Otherwise you may end up with a burnt valve like I had a couple years back. Here's a picture of what the Kat's valves look like.

For me it was less expensive to get a used complete head and install it myself, than to have the dealer just repair the bad valve.

And as far as I can tell, the screw tappet (#8 on Ron Ayers site) had stripped, therefore lost it's clearence.
                How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

All done!!

The actual valve adjustment took only 30 mins, about an hour to get everything off but a relative easy job. Thanks for the help

Comment

You have to take the fairings off? Wow. I should have done that while I had everything apart.
                    America national sport is called baseballs. It very similar to our sport, shurik, where we take dogs, shoot them in a field, and then have a party.

Comment

I just helped Twelve_five do his. 4 hours to do the valves and sync the carbs.
                      Bike is sold

Comment

Working...
                      X