X

1996 GSXF vs 2001 GSXF

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 GSXF vs 2001 GSXF

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and I'm looking to pick up a first bike.I just finished the MSF course this weekend so I'm really going to start looking into buying a bike for sale locally, and theres one at a dealer close to my house. Its a 96 Katana, about 20k. Looks really clean, I've seen it once. He's asking around $2300 which I think is a little much but I can work on that if I decide to get it.

My question is, how much better off would I be looking for a newer bike? I want to spend around $2600 tops, but itd be awesome If i could find a cheaper deal. Are there any major differences between the 96 and the 98+ bodystyle bikes besides bodystyle?

I think I actually prefer the latter bodystyle, but if It's considerably slower or heavier or whatever than the newer ones then I'd rather wait for something else.

Thanks

That sounds high to me. I picked up my 00 600 with 6k miles for 1500.. Keep looking around. You will find one at a better price.
    04 SRT-4 with toys / 00 Katana 600 / 67 Mustang-Sold/ 88 Mustang-Sold / 92 Mustang-Sold / 97 Mustang-Traded

Comment

No, mechanically the Katana's has basically been the same since 1988.

Comment

everybodys opinion of what works is different. go with what you like and stay away from what you dislike .there are pros and cons either way . i would go with a newer model myself.
        im an american proud and free , a son of the south dont tread on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninty2lxcoupe View Post
          That sounds high to me. I picked up my 00 600 with 6k miles for 1500.. Keep looking around. You will find one at a better price.

Thats an incredible deal mean lol, theyre pretty pricy around here. Beginning of summer combined with the high gas prices mean bike prices soar right now. I liked the bike when I saw it because it looked cleaner than most others I've seen, it didnt look like it had been down in any big accidents and it looked pretty stock as far as I could tell. Anything important I should look for when inspecting the bike?

So a 96 Katana will be just as quick as a newer one? Same weight too? Its my first bike so I dont really have any need to go over 600cc but how do the Katanas compare to the other 600s? I got a few buddies that ride and I dont have as much to spend on a late 00's cbr/ninja/gsxr or whatever but I'd like to be able to at least keep up with them.

Thanks for the help guys

Comment

I prefer the older body style myself. Plus I think it makes a little better power, not that it is very noticeable on these bikes. I would check the dates on the tires and see how much adjustment is left in the chain as those may be the priciest things you may have to do after your purchase. If it does need tires (old or worn out) and a new chain and sprockets I would start negotiating around 12-1300 or so if the rest of the bike looks to be in good shape.

As for keeping up with your buddies on real sportbikes, that will just take learning to be a better rider than they are. The bike itself wont do it, and your top end wont be close. Me, I have no problem keeping up and passing alot of the people that ride around here on my kat.
            Last edited by cintidude04; 05-27-2012, 03:02 PM.
            1992- project katfighter
            2005- GSXR750
            2001- TL1000R
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
            www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
            KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
            KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Working...
            X