Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Battery problems, can I save my battery?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery problems, can I save my battery?

So my bike was brought back from storage early, and it snowed for the
    next three days (ugh.... stupid...).

So then my battery was pretty much dead all this week, and with the nice weather out, it was killing me. Got a boost from hooking up the terminals on my car directly to my motorcycle battery (without the car being started, so I could just pull enough juice).... sure enough it started....

Since that time, my motorcycle cannot start on its own, even though the last time I started it, it ran for almost a full hour (me driving it around).

Now it seems the battery is just as dead as it was before and cannot start on its own under any conditions. Is my battery 100% toast, or can I save it?

Also, what kind of batteries should I be looking at for a new one if I do have to get one?
    2005 Suzuki Katana GSX 600
    - Aaron

Sometimes you can bring a battery back to life by de-sulfating it. It really depends on what kind of battery you have and what kind of charger. Lead Acid and Sealed Lead Acid batteries are the easiest to de-sulfate. AGM batteries are another matter.

Here's an article that may help you: http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/artic...n-go-away.html
    sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
    1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
    2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
    First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
    Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Got fluid in it?

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        Got fluid in it?

Krey
        Ditto.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Looks like I can't add water to it, and it looks like this isn't what I expected to see for a battery in my bike (a cheap Canadian Tire/Walmart/Target battery)

Notice the chewed up terminals on the top as well as a bit grease of some sort on the top... possibly acid?

The information on the top of the battery says to never add water...

What kind of battery it is (cheap here in Canada). Also, note the terminals at the top again. Looks like someone's been hacking at it or has had to boost it before with some seriously heavy-duty alligator clips.

So it looks like I just might need a whole new battery all together. De-sulfating it would be a stab in the dark, but I think I might just go with a new one for $80. No telling how old or junkie this battery is and why it's from an el-cheapo store like Canadian Tire.

I tried to turn the bike over just before I took the batt out again and it just clicked rapidly like a very fast-sounding wrist watch tick.

What does everyone else think?
          - Aaron

Comment

Buy a new one. Not worth the hassle.

Also whenever I have my bike sitting for more than a couple days I be sure to plug the tender in.

Comment

Yup, time to replace that one. Looks like it comes from the same factory as the Wal-Mart Never-Starts. Only good thing about them is that they usually don't even last through the warranty period so you get two batteries for the price of one plus some hassle. Might as well go for a good one.
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyZ View Post
                Buy a new one. Not worth the hassle.

Also whenever I have my bike sitting for more than a couple days I be sure to plug the tender in.
                Tender? I don't think I have whatever that is. I'm assuming that it's some sort of charger, but I've never heard of it.

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                Yup, time to replace that one. Looks like it comes from the same factory as the Wal-Mart Never-Starts. Only good thing about them is that they usually don't even last through the warranty period so you get two batteries for the price of one plus some hassle. Might as well go for a good one.
                Precisely. I'm thinking on going for one of these this time ($80 + tax):

Yuasa Battery
                Maintenance Free VRLA - often called a "sealed" battery
                serial # for a 600 05 KAT: YTX9-BS

Not sure what kind of warranty it comes with, but I may shop around some more. If anyone has any suggestions as what kind of battery to go with or a store they love (in Canada), let me know.
                - Aaron

Comment

Yuasa has always done really well by me.
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Looks like it comes from the same factory as the Wal-Mart Never-Starts. Only good thing about them is that they usually don't even last through the warranty period so you get two batteries for the price of one plus some hassle. Might as well go for a good one.
                    Truer words were never spoken, I cant understand why people waste their time with the cheap batteries.

Which is why I agree with this

Yuasa has always done really well by me.
                    Thinking about getting a Shorai this season just to try.

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                      ...Thinking about getting a Shorai this season just to try.
                      Someone say battery?

Excellent choice....
                      http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                      http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                      '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                      "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                      "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Originally posted by GSXFJim View Post
                        Someone say battery?

Excellent choice....
                        My Yuasa's getting a little long in the tooth (9 untendered years) so its getting finicky, especially since I barely ride anymore.

Comment

Let me know when your ready...
                          '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXFJim View Post
                            Let me know when your ready to hand over your monies...
                            Will do

Comment

'90 Suzuki 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                              X