Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

How hard is it to replace chain/sprockets?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How hard is it to replace chain/sprockets?

I tore my bike apart the other day to find the leak. It seems like I just remove the back tire, front sprocket bolt, chain, and replace all? Im not sure how to add links tho. I am waiting on a guy to help me but he hasnt called me back in 3 days, so I am wanting to do it myself

My past mechanic history

Engine swap on CRX
    Clutch swap on CRX
    Clutch swap on Civic Si
    Transmission swap on s2000
    Rear end swap on s2000

etc.

I have mechanic abilities, I was just wondering if its a one person job. Thanks

Tj
    2002 GSXF Katana 600- Sold
    2004 GSXR 600

Yeah, it's pretty easy. Only "special" tool needed would be the chain break/press tool.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Add links? unless your not going with the stock sizes on sprockets you shouldn't be adding or subtracting any links off a stock chain.

Chain and sprocket change is very easy. Just make your life easier and don't remove the chain or rear wheel until after you taken off the front sprocket.
      Kyle

Comment

Well I went +3 in the rear, I think I have around 122 links? If counted correctly

I can cut the chain off, It looks like its not a rivot connection but im not sure? here is a picture of everything I got, what tool is needed?

Last edited by TjCase85; 04-24-2010, 03:14 PM.
        2004 GSXR 600

Comment

Originally posted by TjCase85 View Post
          Well I went +3 in the rear, I think I have around 122 links? If counted correctly

I can cut the chain off, It looks like its not a rivot connection but im not sure? here is a picture of everything I got, what tool is needed?

sigpic
          -Cory-
          1997 Katana 600

-see my garage for mods-

'pegs are down for you anytime CP'

Comment

I just did the same thing for the first time yesterday. It is pretty easy. There is a wealth of info about it on the web. Get a chain that is longer than you need, so you can take links out. Don't buy a motion pro tool for breaking the chain and setting the rivets. It is a piece. Most of it broke while I was using it and it didn't come with all the pieces I needed. I ended up having to make accessories for it. Just take you time and it will work.

Comment

write up please..i am in the process of ordering my set.
              -100% JEDI-

Comment

Anyone know the book time to replace the chain and both sprockets on a 05 750 Katana? I have had two dealers quote me different times, one was an hour the other was 2 even after I explained to him the fairing would be off.
                Thanks
                Always take the scenic route

Comment

Just make sure you have an impact/air wrench to break the factory loc-tite loose on the front sprocket. I did it on a 97 kat 600 and it would've been a pain without it.
                  Current Bike: 2005 SV1000S K5 Red, 7,xxx miles, Hot Bodies Double Bubble Tinted Screen, Hot Bodies Fender Eliminator, Pirelli Diablo Rossi's, LED Flush Mounts, Front/Side/Rear Sliders, PC-III USB, K&N Air Filter, aTRE Mod, TechSpec Tank Grips, Solo Seat Cowl, Corbin Seat, HEL SS Brake/Clutch Lines.

Working on installing: TPS mod

Anyone who loves their bike uses Rotella T6!

Comment

Anyone know the shimmy size for it? I need to know before I clamp it down
                    Last edited by TjCase85; 04-25-2010, 09:00 PM.
                    2004 GSXR 600

Comment

Originally posted by bfunk View Post
                      I just did the same thing for the first time yesterday. It is pretty easy. There is a wealth of info about it on the web. Get a chain that is longer than you need, so you can take links out. Don't buy a motion pro tool for breaking the chain and setting the rivets. It is a piece. Most of it broke while I was using it and it didn't come with all the pieces I needed. I ended up having to make accessories for it. Just take you time and it will work.
                      It's possible to snap the breaker pin... just make sure the head of the rivet is ground clean off.

Originally posted by TjCase85 View Post
                      Anyone know the shimmy size for it? I need to know before I clamp it down

When Jay's chain and sprockets come in, I'll direct him and take pictures
                      -Steve

sigpic
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

so i posted another one i wanna change my gearing but the only thing i can find is a gixxer 530 kit and its 16/44 comperd to 15/52 will i lose a lot of top end on this or just a little and how will it effect my bike
                        what the phuc you lookin at

Comment

Originally posted by rick614 View Post
                          so i posted another one i wanna change my gearing but the only thing i can find is a gixxer 530 kit and its 16/44 comperd to 15/52 will i lose a lot of top end on this or just a little and how will it effect my bike
                          motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
                          Nuff said.

Comment

no help no chart for 1100 but damn it gave me a estimate thanx
                            what the phuc you lookin at

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                              It's possible to snap the breaker pin... just make sure the head of the rivet is ground clean off.

When Jay's chain and sprockets come in, I'll direct him and take pictures
                              I think people keep breaking these tools when attempting to break the chain. Like Steves said you have to make sure you grind the rivets off before even attempting to snap the pin.

Overall it's a pretty easy and straight forward job, use a dremmel or other tool to grind/break the old chain and you don't have to be particular because I'm assuming the old chain will just be tossed. Good luck with the replacement definitely shouldn't take you too long.
                              1991 Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                              X