X

GSXR 750 cams in a 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FastJetta97 View Post
    man i really wanna get and instal this 89 gsxr 750 cam in my 750 and see what happens.... im guessin i will have to do a serious jet kit... but i think it will bring the kat to life....
    I think it will actually make tuning carbs much easier.

If my logic is correct...... weak cam + huge ports, valves and carbs = PITA to tune
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

sweeeeet..... gsxr cam... factory pro stage 1... and 20 more horsepower here i come....
      THE EMAIL BANDIT
      F4 I stunted out
      Cbr900 (low and stretched)
      MK III Jetta VR6 TURBO.....

Previously 93 Katana 750....

Comment

GSXR Cams

Anyone have a dyno graph showing the change on a 750? Also, how much for the cams generally?

Comment

Originally posted by GregS View Post
          Problem with this logic is the 98+ motor is the short stroke motor.

As far as jet kits are concerned, Ivan's is a low and mid kit. Personally the 750 makes plenty of low end power so having a jet kit that improves low and sacrifices high is a waste. The Factory Pro kit gives great throttle response low end and increases top end. The DJ kit just floods the motor with fuel and is good for bench racing but fails in the real world.
          Now everyone, Flame On.
          For a street-driven bike, the Ivan's kit is hardly "a waste". Most people don't drive around looking to run at 10k-12k RPMs for normal driving/street use. If you do, you're probably:

1. An idiot squid
          2. Going out of your way to draw the ire of the popo (see #1)
          3. Deliberately trying to p1ss people off
          4. Going to dramatically shorten the life of your engine

That said, for a RACE bike that's actually raced on a track and really does see frequent sustained visits to the 10,000-RPM+ range, I could see that logic. But that's also NOT what the Katana is for. If you're looking for an honest-to-goodness race bike, I'd strongly advise ditching the Katana and getting a GSXR. The suspension, geometry and engine/cams are all better suited to race conditions. The Katana is more of a street/touring-sport type bike.

I considered getting GSXR cams a while back but was told it would leave the bike somewhat anemic at the low-mid ranges with power only really available wound out. Not really great for street use, so I decided on the Ivans instead.

FWIW I spoke to Ivan about his kit with GSXR cams and was told essentially don't bother. It's not a sensible combination.

Comment

i will go ahead and let arsenic take care of that one seeing as he has gsxr cams and an jet kit..... he will tell u whats up....
            THE EMAIL BANDIT
            F4 I stunted out

Comment

jetta, you realize I can't ride right? Yes I built a Katana with GSXR cams and a FACTORY PRO stage 1. All I can say is when the tach hits 7K hold on, thats when it gets fun.

Comment

what... no i def didn't know that....
                THE EMAIL BANDIT
                F4 I stunted out

Comment

yeah dude, click the "project Suzuki Katana 600" link in my sig, you can read the story.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                    jetta, you realize I can't ride right? Yes I built a Katana with GSXR cams and a FACTORY PRO stage 1. All I can say is when the tach hits 7K hold on, thats when it gets fun.
                    built?? or building? Have you got much of it together yet? I want to see this thing.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Yes, the Factory Pro jet kit is quite different from the Ivan's jet kit.

While it would be fun to "make" a GSXR engine out of a Katana engine by changing the cams and adding a Factory Pro kit, I don't really see the point. It will still yield a bike that (at the end of the day) is inferior to the GSXR in every way because of the suspension & geometry differences between the Katana and the gixxer.

Just buy a GSXR if you want top-end. That's what I'd do anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by KatScratchFever View Post
                        Yes, the Factory Pro jet kit is quite different from the Ivan's jet kit.

While it would be fun to "make" a GSXR engine out of a Katana engine by changing the cams and adding a Factory Pro kit, I don't really see the point. It will still yield a bike that (at the end of the day) is inferior to the GSXR in every way because of the suspension & geometry differences between the Katana and the gixxer.

Just buy a GSXR if you want top-end. That's what I'd do anyway.
                        the rear shock is GSXR too, and the front forks are Progressive springs with Race Tech gold valve emulators. It's a GSXR with a steel frame, anything else you'd like to add Maybe you'll think of something I haven't thought of yet, but I highly, highly doubt it.

Originally posted by chinto View Post
                        built?? or building? Have you got much of it together yet? I want to see this thing.
                        the engine is just about done Joe, when I get the PC stuff back from Marc after the rally the engine will be done. I have put GSXR cams in a tuna before, this isn't the first one.
                        Last edited by arsenic; 07-10-2008, 05:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Why Im going this set-up

I think personnal its how you like to ride. Me I love to ride and have fun riding. I love how the bike take-off and everything about and I feel comfortable doing. But I also like If I want to drive my bike 170miles one way to drill each month I can and won't hate myself when I get off. But like I said thats me. And thats why Im building myself up to this set-up. I just installed the B12 header. Like arsenic said 7000+ rpm was a nice increase. And I love it. My gas MPG has drop alot. But that just how I ride and why I got a Katana and not a GSXR
                          sigpic
                          Update Jul 11 2014
                          Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

The Katana, my take, I will go on record as saying the Katana is the awesomest piece of crap I've ever seen. A stock Katana is a joke, it's a flat out pos. Suzuki made the Katana to be as cheap as possible, it IS. With that stated I really can't think of a better base to modify. I could make an awesome GSXR 1000, but guess what, Suzuki Motor Corp. already did. So, with a very comfortable up right riding position, and unlimited possibilties to make awesome, you know what a Katana engine is? It's a 1990 GSXR 750 engine. Same stroke, same a lot of things. So yeah if you wanna go 140 right out of the box, buy a gixxer.
                            Last edited by arsenic; 07-10-2008, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                              The Katana, my take, I will go on record as saying the Katana is the awesomest piece of crap I've ever seen. A stock Katana is a joke, it's a flat out pos. Suzuki made the Katana to be as cheap as possible, it IS. With that stated I really can't think of a better base to modify. I could make an awesome GSXR 1000, but guess what, Suzuki Motor Corp. already did. So, with a very comfortable up right riding position, and unlimited possibilties to make awesome, you know what a Katana engine is? It's a 1990 GSXR 750 engine. Same stroke, same a lot of things. So yeah if you wanna go 140 right out of the box, buy a gixxer.
                              . LOL My Cousin and me was talking about this two days ago. I went to show him and B12 Header and we got to talking about the stuff im doing and how much it has improved it. Becuz he rode it 2 weeks ago. And well he is about 5'5 and 120lbs. And well 1st and 2nd gear really surprize him. He got back from riding along a long block and first thing he said what did you say you did to the katana again. Becuz I really wasn't excepting the Katana to come up on me. LOL. Anywayz. So back to the first story. If you go to a track all you will see in GSXR and Sh**. But what about a Katana at the track showing theses boys now that going thats goin the attention. He** I already show the GSXR and Ninja boys out. People looking at my bike not theres and plus I can still right next to them on the street.

IDK. For some reason I like to be different, add a twist. My car of choice is a OLDSMOBILE another underdog. But have someone build one that knows a thing about it. I bet your jaw will be on the ground. I have 87 camaro with a Olds 307 in it. And a 81 cutlass that is Diesel. Nothing radial just different.
                              Last edited by Rok_Stars_Bars; 07-10-2008, 06:33 PM.
                              sigpic
                              Update Jul 11 2014
                              Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

When you put the GSXR cams in the pre 98 kat 750, do you need to advance the ignition/timing? Are there other mods besides the jet kit in the carb?? tks

Comment

Working...
                                X