X

yet another exhaust question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yet another exhaust question

I've been searching for people that make a header for a 98+ 750 Kat and while few and far between there are some out there, Hindle and Holeshot both make a header. While with Holeshot you have to buy the full system you can get just a header from Hindle.

My question is because I'm planning to just buy a slip on at first because they are a little cheaper and I really like the sound of the Yoshi would a Hindle header be able to fit on the mid pipe of a Yoshi slip on or are Yoshis only made for stock headers.

I haven't been able to find any kind of pipe diameters for either of them although maybe I'm just not searching hard enough. If push comes to shove then I'd simply buy a full Hindle system, but I'd like to try and make the Yoshi slip on with a Hindle header work if it would be at all possible out of the box. I prefer the sound of the Yoshi, to me the Hindle is just slightly too loud but it's not so loud that I'd pass on a full Hindle system vs a slip on Yoshi.
    Originally posted by AbeezieSoNeezie

fact: a yammie is a girls bike
    fact: more that one girl rides yammies therefore yammies = a bunch of girls
    fact: girls lie

therefore, the following equation is true.
    girls = yammah
    yammah = a bunch of liars

Have you ever heard a Hindle Stealth can? They sound very much like the Yosh. While the supersport Hindle packing tends to kinda "grumble" at an idle and turns into a full blown howl at redline, the stealth packing is a great medium between that and the stock can. I've never heard one on a Kat, but there's a few guys older guys in town that have opted for the stealth can on bikes like a 12R and such...sounds pretty good!
    FrankenKat 1216
    GS Fiter 816
    GSXR750! (race)

Comment

I didn't see the stealth can listed on StarCycle and thats where I went, I saw them in one of my issues of Cycle World recently when I was looking for an article and thought what the hell and looked to see what they had. They have Hindle full systems but they are the race cans.

girls = yammah

Comment

nope...Hindle with Hindle only....but you can buy the slip-on and upgrade the exhaust later with the header

Comment

That's what many people do that Ive talked to in past. Buy a good slip on; Hindle, Yosh, V&H, and then upgrade to a full exhaust when you can.

Comment

bummer, guess I'll have to do it the hard way then. I'm wondering if I should go with the Holeshot full system instead then because Spedee was able to use a hindle can with it.

girls = yammah

Comment

Why can't you get the Hindle header pipe and the Yoshi can and get an exhaust place to make an adapted mid pipe?
              I had 2" headers on my Chrysler that fe into 2.5" mufflers. The shop simply opened (stretched) the end of the pipe to fit into the muffler.
              I'm sure they could do something for you.
              Buying a slip-on just to replace the full system seems a waste of money to me
              I was only speeding because bikes fall over if you don't go fast

Comment

I'd like to make a system work with the least amount of fabrication possible, and while I like the sound and look of the Yoshi slip on I really would like to have a header as well and it seems like the only two options that I'm willing to do are either a full system from Hindle or a full system from Holeshot, I prefer the look of the Hindle system and being that I haven't heard a clip of a Holeshot system I'm going to have to say Hindle wins that one.

girls = yammah

Comment

I took the cheap option and got the stock muffler repacked.
                  The cap is cut off the end, the original 3 stage baffle is removed and replaced with a low restriction, straight through baffle tube, the cap is re-welded and the job is polished.
                  $150 as compared to a Yoshi RS3 at $905 (Australian prices)

The midrange roll-on has improved dramatically, same with the economy,
                  According to the dyno, the bike is up from 96hp to 112.
                  No work has been done to the carbs, being venturi they have adapted well. No flats spots or lag and only a mild burble/popping from the pipe when coming off the high revs.

I've attached an mp3 of the note. I apologise for the quality, it's recorded on a Nokia and doesn't really capture the throatiness.
                  I was only speeding because bikes fall over if you don't go fast

Comment

Hey Phoenix, I can give you a good deal on my old Two Brothers slip on. Let me know if you are interested. I've been spending a lot of time in San Leandro lately so I could bring it with me next time if you want to look at it.

Damic

Comment

I am by no means a noob when it comes to engines and exhaust system (check my profile ) but......can someone explain to me the benefits of an after market header vs. the stock one on the 750?

I know in cars there are significant gains to be made using a header constructed of smoothly flowing, oversized, equal lenght pipes vs. a stock cast aluminum manifold but the stock header on my 750 looks pretty good. I can't imagine a whole lot could be done to make it "that" much better.

Comment

Originally posted by damic
                        Hey Phoenix, I can give you a good deal on my old Two Brothers slip on. Let me know if you are interested. I've been spending a lot of time in San Leandro lately so I could bring it with me next time if you want to look at it.

Damic
                        I was going to be out and about tomorrow with my friend at some of the local stealerships seeing if anyone has some of the bikes he's looking at in stock, but if you're going to be free I can meet you somewhere if possible.

girls = yammah

Comment

Originally posted by MadMax
                          I am by no means a noob when it comes to engines and exhaust system (check my profile ) but......can someone explain to me the benefits of an after market header vs. the stock one on the 750?

I know in cars there are significant gains to be made using a header constructed of smoothly flowing, oversized, equal lenght pipes vs. a stock cast aluminum manifold but the stock header on my 750 looks pretty good. I can't imagine a whole lot could be done to make it "that" much better.
                          basically...size...less restrictive.

as with a SYSTEM...such as the HINDLE...it would be engineered and tested on a Dyno, to optimize the flow characteristics and benifits in various RPM ranges. such things as lengths and diameters affect the various WAVES and if they are not HARMONIC...it could actually cause a decrease in performance, by backpressure cycles flowing back into the combustion chamber....lots of scientific stuff like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix_Rising
                            I was going to be out and about tomorrow with my friend at some of the local stealerships seeing if anyone has some of the bikes he's looking at in stock, but if you're going to be free I can meet you somewhere if possible.
                            I'm on my way to San Jose today but I'll be in San Leandro on Tuesday around 4:00. I'm trying to restore the machining program at the high school there. Did you attend SLHS at one time?

Damic

Comment

Originally posted by damic
                              Originally posted by Phoenix_Rising
                              I'm on my way to San Jose today but I'll be in San Leandro on Tuesday around 4:00. I'm trying to restore the machining program at the high school there. Did you attend SLHS at one time?

Damic
                              no, I didn't attend SLHS I went to Arroyo

girls = yammah

Comment

Working...
                              X