X

rust around the neck

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rust around the neck

My son has a 2001 600 and under thecas cap rim of the filler neck has started to have a rust ring around the filler neck on the tank.
    Any questions on how this happens, and how to remove it?

use a tank clean kit on the whole tank, I like the Yamaha stuff

Comment

It would also be a super good idea to remove the tank from the bike to do it. Don't want all those rust goobies going through the rest of the bike.
      Experience is the hardest teacher, it gives the test first and the lesson afterwards

Comment

yeah, there no way to do it with out taking the tank off, take the pet cock off too.

Comment

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

That may be my next step. We'll see what the carbies look like today. If they still have rust in them, I'll get the yamaha stuff and go from there. My carbs looked like the ones in the picture the first time I took them off.

Comment

inquire at a radiator shop if they can fix and reline it. i had it done for $65 but my tank hadn't any paint on it; i am not sure how they do it
              1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

or just fix it yourself with a tank clean kit

Comment

Re: rust around the neck

Originally posted by capsfloyd
                  My son has a 2001 600 and under thecas cap rim of the filler neck has started to have a rust ring around the filler neck on the tank.
                  Any questions on how this happens, and how to remove it?
                  If you are talking about the outside & top of the neck, it's because of water build-up and a bad drain hose (kinked, blocked). You can remove this rust with a traditional rust remover (naval jelly) or a rust converter (something that will transform the rust into magnetite), but you still need to address the drainage issue.

If you're talking about the inside of the neck, it's probably a combination of things, including the higher alcohol content of the fuels these days (alcohol attracts water out of the air), and possibly a bad drain hose. The answer there is (IMHO) POR-15 (the how to deal with gas tank rust webpage Arsenic pointed at is mine).

The real question is whether there is water and/or rust down in the tank -- a far more critical issue.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                  X