Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

uuggghh, did my parking lights really just cost me a new battery?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uuggghh, did my parking lights really just cost me a new battery?

Went for a ride today and had a blast getting lost on unfamiliar back roads. Got home and locked the bike (so I thought). Come back probably 5-7 hours later to put the cover on and noticed that with my key in hand, somehow this little light in the front was on as well as the tail light, lol. I was very confused, turned the bike on and it stopped, so I took a closer look and like a retard, I didn't even know it had a parking light thing and I obviously accidentally slipped the key past lock and into the parking light position on my earlier ride. How frustrating.

So I turned the bike on and it reluctantly started. Is this reluctant start a sign that its too late and I need to get a new one, or do you think it will spring back to life?

Just hoping to get opinions right now. Its freaking cold outside and I'm not going back out there, but if it still has problems in the morning I guess I'll get a new one. I saw a very light weight battery in a sportbike magazine ad in publix today, maybe this will be a good excuse to get something like that. A bit of a rant, but man I'm frustrated, I need to pay more attention to things I guess.

I think youre lucky you didnt have a completely dead battery. The bike starting is a good sign that you do in fact have a good battery.

I wouldnt feel bad about it. I think everyone, including myself has done that atleast once.
    Originally posted by arsenic
    93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

You can jump your bike off with your car if you need to. Just don't turn the car on, only hook up the cables. If you get it started and take it on a ride it should charge the battery for you. I would try that first, if it has problems starting a few more days then chances are you need a new one.
      : If you can't control yourself, you can't control your bike.

Comment

If you have a battery charger you can just put it on the battery at the lowest setting it has (usually 2 Amps) and leave it overnight. The fact that the bike started and got you home is a really good sign and running a battery low one time won't kill it if it was in good shape to begin with. These things ARE rechargeable, you know...
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

The bike won't charge the battery all the way. Best bet is to take it out and charge it with a batter charger. If you dont have one, I suggest getting one.

Charge it on 12v 2 amp for the night and if battery dies easily after that still then get a new one.

Cheap one will do you good enough, and they are not very expensive. Good to have around the house.
          My Bike/Project:
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=114782

Comment

I think most of us here have done this before, you are just lucky that your bike started back up. I left mine in a parking lot from 8AM to about 10PM and the battery was flat dead. I then had two people come up to me and say "Oh yeah I meant to tell you, you left your lights on."
            "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

Working...
            X