Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wider rear wheel question: Found locked thread, have questions

I came across this thread:
    A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
    mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

Which i must say is full of awesome information!

When he mentions modifying the Brake arm to allow the Katana to accept a 170 tire, what does he mean?

Post swingers can fit 4.5-5.5" rims, with a max size tire of 170 with a modified brake arm.
    I have an '01 Kat so I am assuming by "post swinger" he means the swing arm on post model Katana's aka my year.

I tried searching for the how to on that specific modification but couldn't come up with an answer.

Thanks for any help!

Brandon
    -Brandon

This thread in the How To section may have some insight.

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
    mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

Comment

The stock brake arm is bent for clearance, but for the larger sized tire it may not be bent enough. Several people have mentioned needed to increase that clearance in the middle of the arm for the tire lip to clear properly.

I've made custom arms before to resolve the problem, but I've not modded a brake arm in a long time because I adjust the swingarm as part of the mods to fit the larger wheels now days. Part of that is relocating the mounting point on the swingarm for the brake arm so that you can use the stock arm, when using a brake arm setup.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
        This thread in the How To section may have some insight.

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=104600
        I can't tell if you are joking or not. It is slightly funny though!

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        The stock brake arm is bent for clearance, but for the larger sized tire it may not be bent enough. Several people have mentioned needed to increase that clearance in the middle of the arm for the tire lip to clear properly.

Krey
        I'll have to take a good peek at it when the weather warms up.

Thanks Krey and great write up!
        Last edited by badwithcomputer; 01-10-2012, 10:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        -Brandon

Comment

Originally posted by badwithcomputer View Post
          I can't tell if you are joking or not. It is slightly funny though!

I'll have to take a good peek at it when the weather warms up.

Thanks Krey and great write up!
          I thought that had brake arm stuff in it, it's not the thread I was thinking of. Somewhere here is a thread about that, but the one I linked isn't it.

Comment

No worries my friend I appreciate the effort, I'll try a different search and see if I can come up with it now that it has been confirmed that there may be a post out there somewhere.
            -Brandon

Comment

Questions about the How-Tos should be posted here:
              An area to ask questions and share answers on specific projects. New how to's should be started here. No offtopic posts!

I'll move this thread, which is an appropriate discussion of the how to information (and krey is already here).
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I appear to have lived up to my username yet again.

Thanks Steve
                -Brandon

Comment

When you widen the swing arm to accomodate the wider rear rim and tire, the rear brake torque arm must also be considered. That's the meaning of the statement.
                  -Steve

sigpic

Comment

In the post he says that only the Brake arm needs modifying to fit a 170mm width tire on a Katana (post '98). The only reason I am considering the Brake arm mod is because of a tire in the 170mm width being on sale.

I was hoping there was a thread illustrating the process of making room to gauge if it was worth doing.
                    -Brandon

Comment

You need to do more than just throw a 170 tire on there. Consider running a 160 or 150 instead...
                      -Steve

sigpic

Comment

There are several posts about modifying the arm. My swingarm mod thread has pics of making a custom one as well. (check my sig for build thread link and details.)

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks Krey!

I checked out your whole build and found the modification you made, I am just going to wait for the proper size tire to come up for a decent price. it killed me not to grab that one but probably better in the long run eh?

I don't know why i feel so rushed to get it road worthy, we just got the 2nd snow storm of the year, probably going to be a long old winter.
                          -Brandon

Comment

Don't want to open up old wounds ... but I'm running a 170 rear on a post 750. No mod necessary. About 1/4" clearance to brake arm.

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
                              Don't want to open up old wounds ... but I'm running a 170 rear on a post 750. No mod necessary. About 1/4" clearance to brake arm.

No opening old wounds, I just don't feel (as do most tire manufactures with their recomendations) that anything less than a minimal of 12.5mm (1/2") clearance is safe or suggested as a working alternative.

Tires are rubber... and flex/change shape as you ride and they spin. I understand tire not touching at a stand still, but the clerance when moving changes in ways many may not fully understand or see.

Ultimately... the choice is yours... your bike, your life. I wont suggest anything to anyone if I don't feel it is safe though.

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                              X