X

Swing arm and a bigger tire

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swing arm and a bigger tire

Anyone know around how much it cost to extend out the rear tire? Also, what's the biggest tire you have put on a Katana? I would like to put as fat of a tire on the rear as I can. Thanks for the info.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by john.marcum1; 10-18-2014, 02:41 PM.

search. threads are there. wider wheel install threads too.
    Last edited by KAT TOY; 10-18-2014, 07:41 PM.
    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I have extended 2 using the kit from Kinny. Stock tire width though...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by john.marcum1 View Post
        .... I would like to put as fat of a tire on the rear as I can. Thanks for the info.
        How much do you have to spend, cause it's not gonna be cheap. You're going to upgrade the suspension too. I'm sure your shock it weak.

Why do you want it, it will make it useless for cornering...
        http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
        http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
        '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
        "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
        "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Originally posted by john.marcum1 View Post
          Anyone know around how much it cost to extend out the rear tire? Also, what's the biggest tire you have put on a Katana? I would like to put as fat of a tire on the rear as I can. Thanks for the info.
          Your going to spend more than the bike is worth and the handling Is going to be horrible.
          Last edited by 92xjunker; 10-19-2014, 12:24 AM.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Welcome to KR!

Largest stock tire without problems is pretty much a 160 60 17. After that you deform the tire on the rim a ton and things start getting dangerous. If you want a bigger rim that'll fit a wider tire you have to mod the swing arm. As was said, not cheap. And no, there aren't any wider swing arms that will just bolt up. A few people have grafted other SAs on, but it's a lot of work.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

170 will fit a post rim (4.5")
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

Really? Huh, thought I had seen a couple threads where it still kinda iffy, brand/model of tire dependent. Either way widest I've gone in my own experience is 160 60 17.
                Last edited by shpielers; 10-19-2014, 04:07 AM.
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

Comment

170 will fit but, yes you need to check the manufacturers fitment guide.
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

Gotcha

Personally I don't understand the wider tire look, but then again lots of people don't understand why I ride even if it's raining. To each their own.
                    1998 Katana 750
                    1992 Katana 1100
                    2006 Ninja 250

Comment

All looks. Give up handling for looks...
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                        Form over function, I blame Steve Jobs.... Lol
                        http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                        http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                        '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                        "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                        "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post

Comparing 750cc to 750cc... the 90-92 GSXR with oil cooled engines had a 5.5" rim vs the Kat 750 of those years (and a few more). The rake was a bit sharper, but really the main difference was the shorter wheelbase for the GSXR vs the 90's Kat specific to handling/turn in. Raise the tail with an improved shock, and you adjust some for the rake diff....

Of course there is a difference in weight, but that wasn't huge back then... also of which could be the difference between me at my heaviest weight vs NOW a few lbs lighter. There really was not that much difference in engines, and you could easily bring the Kat engine with a few minor mods up to near the same performance.

From my perspective, shortening the wheelbase as part of the swap over to using the 5.5" wheel off set any minor differences the wider wheel would have added to be detrimental in handling.

My bike now handles 10X better than before the mods, but has the wider tire too.

Of course, it wasn't the rim that made the difference, but the other changes made for the mod that improved things. Shorter and stiffer swingarm that reduced the flex and over all wheelbase quite a bit, better rear shock and significantly raised rear end that changed the rake to be much more aggressive as well as giving much more clearance for the lean, and it also helps with a properly shaped tire on the rim you are using.

I have the unique option of being able to hop on multiples of these bikes at any point as I have several in the garage. My 750 with the 5.5" rim definitely takes the curves the best so far. It's much more stable, gives better feedback, and over all I've never regretted anything about making the change.

That said... if your moving the rear rim away from the bike any at all... the width of the tire is the least of your worries for handling. If your ignoring the suspension on any mods like this, your probably making things worse as well.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Most won't mod with full knowledge of suspension geometry that you do. Extend the swing arm and a huge tire you end up with a very unstable ride, may be great for drag racing but, normal public riding would be tough.
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                            X