X

fuel petcock positions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel petcock positions

Boy I hate asking this question because it is simple stupid and i feel stupid for asking it but I hope you can help. I just got my 600 up and running but am unsure of the positions of the fuel petcock. I had it in what I thought was off and ended up filling my crankcase with gas after it sat for 2 weeks.
    Please tell me the positions and directions of the 94 petcock.

thanks

there is no off because it operates on vacuum you put in prime which should only be used for thirty seconds after running out of gas or emptying the carbs out
    it has on reserve and prime

Comment

sorry man, didn't see that there had already been threads about this issue until I had already posted. Now I can't remember what position it was in that flooded my oil, but I will leave it in the down (on) position for now and see if I have any problems with that. thanks for the reply.

Comment

9 0'clock = reserve
        6 0'clock = on
        3 0'clock = prime
        R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

good info, thanks
          2000 Kat, stage 1 DJ, Progrip grips and tank protector, painted windscreen, tinted fron turn signals, DIY fender eleminator, rear carbon fiber turnsignals, Syslvania ultra headlights. debadged.

Comment

Dude, if you filled your crank case with fuel, you have an issue with a float needle or needle's. You have one stuck open.

Comment

93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by katman05 View Post
                9 0'clock = reserve
                6 0'clock = on
                3 0'clock = prime
                Mine doesn't have a 6oclock its has 9-12-3. and the letters have been rubbed off. Can you tell me what position does what? All so when i drained my tank last time i noticed that the gas stopped running completely, it would slow at 12oClock but not stop and it didnt make a difference at 9 or 3 it ran that same. So what would cause that?

Comment

Your petcock is messed up.
                  Someone took it apart and reassembled it wrong.

Middle should still be "ON" then 9/3 are reverse. Basically the knob is on wrong but no telling what other mischief the PO got up to.
                  There is a metal clip that holds the knob shaft on. If you carefully pop that free (with the knob at 6 or 12 whatever) and turn the knob and clip 180 degrees then put it back you should have the positions right again. Prime uses a spring to force the diaphragm open. Also the prime "hole" is smaller. So some issues with the spring (that is easy to mess up ) could cause flow problems. Don't take it apart completely.. That will really goof you up.
                  Trust me..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                    Your petcock is messed up.
                    Someone took it apart and reassembled it wrong.

Middle should still be "ON" then 9/3 are reverse. Basically the knob is on wrong but no telling what other mischief the PO got up to.
                    There is a metal clip that holds the knob shaft on. If you carefully pop that free (with the knob at 6 or 12 whatever) and turn the knob and clip 180 degrees then put it back you should have the positions right again. Prime uses a spring to force the diaphragm open. Also the prime "hole" is smaller. So some issues with the spring (that is easy to mess up ) could cause flow problems. Don't take it apart completely.. That will really goof you up.
                    Trust me..
                    +1 with one exception. If putting the knob back on right doesn't fix it then that spring may be bent. I recently ran into one like that. Drove me nuts until I spotted it because NOBODY messes with that. The only cure is to take the spring out (It will come out if you're careful) and straighten it. Getting it back in is a pain but some good needlenose pliers and a dental pick will get you there.
                    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

If the insert under the knob is upside down then that spring is definately all bent or messed up.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                        If the insert under the knob is upside down then that spring is definately all bent or messed up.

Krey

Yup...
                        That is what worries me. Wild Bill is a better man then me because I wasn't able to get my spring fixed..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                          Yup...
                          That is what worries me. Wild Bill is a better man then me because I wasn't able to get my spring fixed..

I'll be honest...

The pictorial I did... I messed up and put it in upside down the first time.

It's an easy mistake to make. I had to "adjust" the bent/messed up spring to fix it.

I suggest on a rebuild, put the knob on first, check it's right, then put the diaphram in.

This way if it's wrong, the spring has somewhere to go without bending it, and you can clearly see if it's working right.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Comment

Hey sorry I'm new to this forum I have a 1994 gsx750f
                            The petcock seems to be messed up no fuel comes out checked the vacuum
                            Line etc idk what to do just buy a new petcock ? I took it apart and put it back
                            My buddy and I got the bike tO start right up when we filled the fuel lines
                            But it dies cuz it isn't getting gas from the tank
                            Any help would bE awesome I just bought a new battery and really want to get this bike running smoothly

Comment

Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Working...
                              X