X

Brake Problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Problem

I have a 91 600 kat, and recently had a minor accident. The front brakes went out. I fixed the bike, and bled the front brakes starting at the master cylinder and working my way down. Then at the calipers, I bled them atleast 10 times on each side of each caliper. The brakes felt great. Nice and firm. No spongyness. I took it for a test ride through the neighborhood and back at about 10-15 mph, checking the front end. When I got back and went to pull in my driveway, no brakes on the front AGAIN!!

There are no leaks from any of the lines, calipers, or connections. I'm thinking that the o-rings in the master cylinder may have gone bad, but I would like some feedback from someone who has seen or had this problem before.
    But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. Mat 10:33

Well if it's not the lines, calipers or connections it has to be the M/C. There's nothing else left.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I found the problem a little while after posting. The front brakes have floating rotors. One of the rotors was bent slightly (how, I dont know) and causing the pistons to be pushed back in everytime the bend passed the pads. The same thing happens when you put new pads on; you push the pistons all the way back in, put the pads on, put the caliper back on, and pump up the brakes to fill the gap between the pads and the rotor.

I thought hard about this one!! The floating rotors have rings in them that the rotor "floats" on. If one of the rings gets a little rust or dirt, it will make the rotor stick instead of allowing it to float. And for the record, I HATE FLOATING ROTORS!! Worst design ever!
      But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. Mat 10:33

Comment

Working...
      X