X

gsxr 1000 forks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gsxr 1000 forks

dose any one know if a set of gsxr1000 upside down forks would fit on a 98kat.

As long as you replace the triples (obviously) and you'll need the handlebars and you'll need the calipers (or adapt brackets) and you'll need the wheel with rotors (or adapt with spacers) and the axle (bearings may be different size so get ready to adapt).
    In other words, yes it will fit but you need a complete front end and some creative adapting.

Comment

it still won't work. When you swap the whole front end you need the right steering head bearing. SO the answer is no, they won't work. 88-92 GSXR 750 front end will though

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        it still won't work. When you swap the whole front end you need the right steering head bearing. SO the answer is no, they won't work. 88-92 GSXR 750 front end will though

do you need to make any mods on the stemor anything else?

Comment

nope, the 88-92 (I think, I know 91-92 for sure) Use the same steering head bearings as the GSXF. Actually 86-92 GSXR 750
          Last edited by arsenic; 06-25-2008, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by viper View Post
            dose any one know if a set of gsxr1000 upside down forks would fit on a 98kat.
            Are you trying to achive fully adjustable suspension or specifically the look of USD forks with adjustability.

For the former, the Yamaha YZF600R has 41mm forks, fully adjustable, and it is the same diameter as the forks on the 98+ years. So theoretically you should be able to pull out the OEM forks and slip in a complete front end of the Yami. I say theoretically because what I don't know for sure is the fork spacing of the stock triples to the axle spacing of the Yamaha. The other alternative if the fork spacing does not work is swap out the Suzuki triple for the Yamaha YZF600R triple as the bearings are the same, so says All Balls Bearings. Type in part number 22-1004, which is what the +98 Kats steering head bearings are. That whole list is what is steering head bearing compatible. One caveat, steering lock and steering stops, as well as steering stem length.

For the later it is still do-able but more difficult because of availability on the complete GSX-R 750 front end. The same All Balls part number also shows the the 1993-1995 GSX-R 750 steering head bearings are the same. For these years, they have the USD forks with adjustability. Bike Pics proves this out.

The advantage to the 93-95 GSX-R 750 forks with triple is that it has the same steering stops as the Kat. That last sentence is based on the 93-95 year triple I have on hand but I have not yet mounted it so the steering stops should work. That and the large Bandit USD fork thread over at Maximum Suzuki. You'll have to register to view the forums. That's where I got a lot of my information on USD forks. Since the Bandit and Kat are close cousins, they share similar designs.

I also know the ignition has the same bolt spacing to mount the ignition but it needs to be shaved down a little, so the steering lock should work out as well.

One caveat for the 93-95 triple clamp, the steering stem length itself is a little bit different to my 2001, but nothing that I think will effect the swap when I do mine. Except mine has a secret weapon which I won't share.

Two things to be aware of if you want to go with either these two routes or if you want to do you own research for more modern forks with the extra look and function of monoblock brakes is fork length. Fork length will affect steering and handling of the bike.

I do know that he Yamaha forks are similar in length as our Kats, I have a set with me. The 93-95 GSX-R 750 forks I believe are also within spec of the +98 Kats. I'm using a different make of forks so I don't have it in my possession to measure it but from what I read in the Maximum Suzuki thread is that it is of proper length.
            Last edited by squiggy; 06-27-2008, 03:45 PM.
            How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Working...
            X