X

Looking for operating and maintenance tips and info

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for operating and maintenance tips and info

I have never owned a 4 cylinder sport bike and have 20 years experience with V twins. Have been aware of the excellent engineering and performance of the Japanese sport bike and always wanted one. I bought an 02 six hundred Katana with 20k miles on it. I think it is probably bullet proof but are there any special maintenance tips or operating instructions to keep it running great. I keep RPM around 4500, really hot so I used Mobil 1 20W50 full synthetic oil, run high octane gas and can lift my chain about half an inch (no loose slack but not tight). Any tips and info would be greatly appreciated. While composing this I just read that 87 or 89 octane is recommended . Great site and thanks in advance. I have been reading this forum for over a month and have noticed there are no gotcha attitude people pouncing on new people looking for help. Like the picture challenge thread also, sounds like fun.

you seem to have the right attitude and know what your doing quite well!
    dont be afraid to rev it though and vary the revs also,it'll do it more good!
    sigpic

Comment

I've been running 87 octane, one thing I did was get a manual helps out a lot, cause I'm new to the Katana.

Comment

The revs is tough. Hard to get used to cruising at RPMs that used to be close to old redlines.

Comment

This page of the wiki has a lot of helpful info for newer kat owners. Welcome to the site!

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
          You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Thanks. I also notice that the clutches seem to handle a lot of power and are easy to change. I looked at a lot of performance reports and information. I have yet to read any critical reports about clutches or difficulty replacing them.

Comment

Clutch issues are fairly rare aside from cases of abuse or sheer extreme mileage/age...or using the wrong oil, that'll smoke a clutch pretty quick.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
              You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

10 -40 wt. oil should be used 20-50 will lug the motor on revs , this is a super bullet proof bike i wish i still hasd mine back . 2002 -600cc in yellow . This too - AGATT . WELCOME to the site
                Last edited by H-2 CHARLIE; 08-06-2012, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X