X

Rf900 question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rf900 question

There is a 1994 RF900 for sale close to me with a bad engine for cheap. I know these bikes arent discussed here but at times there are B12 or Bandit1200 discussions/motor swaps. Although the RF900 bikes seem to be the red-headed stepchild in the Suzuki family does anyone have knowlege whether a 1200 Bandit engine will fit? The RF900 engine seems rare and 1200 engines are more plentiful. I'm curious whether this bike would be much of a step up from my '88 KAT1100? Opinions or experience anyone ???
    Do the thing you fear most, and the Death of fear is most certain.

I'm pretty sure the RF and Bandit do not share the same motor mounts.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

RF-900:
      125.00 HP (91.2 kW)) @ 10000 RPM
      95.13 Nm (9.7 kgf-m or 70.2 ft.lbs) @ 9000 RPM
      203.0 kg (447.5 pounds)
      0.6158 Hp/Kg
      0.4686 Nm/Kg
      (Water Cooled)

1100 Kat:
      136.00 HP (99.3 kW)) @ 9500 RPM
      112 Nm @ 7000 rpm
      244 kg / 256 kg
      0.5574 HP/Kg
      0.4590 Nm/Kg
      (Air Cooled)

The RF-900 weighs less but it doesn't seem like that much of an upgrade to me. The Kat's going to be more comfortable but the RF-900 should handle better and accelerate a bit better. As for engine swaps, the RF-900's engine was based on the GSXR-1100 although the radiator was apparently different to allow the motor to be placed closer to the front wheel. If you like the looks then I'd plan on looking for a water cooled 1100R engine and keep the RF-900 radiator and intake.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Having owned & ridden hard all the bikes mentioned so far in this thread heres my opinion a good RF will absolutely blitz either an 1100 kat or a B12 on outright speed, acceleration, handling & braking, even though the bikes appear similar on paper they are in a whole different world out on the road

In answer to the original question the RF motor is based on the later water cooled gsxr1100 with downdraft carbs & is a lot smaller than the B12/kat motor so although you may be able to get an oil boiler to fit its by no means a simple swap
        Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I was figuring the suspension should be a bit more advanced than my Kat1100. Upon reading more on the internet it seems like the RF900 engine cylinders may be tilted at a different deg. than the 1100W engine. I havent even gone to see the bike in person, but I believe I'll let it pass.
          Do the thing you fear most, and the Death of fear is most certain.

Comment

If its really cheap i'd be tempted just for the forks which are the same as a b12 but an inch shorter & carry the 4 pot nissin brakes the back wheel is 5.5" with 180 tyre which could be usefull as well
            Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

No, the motors aren't a direct swap.

My only problem with the RF's is that they are all over 10 years old now, and getting parts is going to be the problem.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I remember when those came out, I really wanted the 900. Press article said that a designer was inspired to put those fairing slits on when he saw a stingray or something like it at an aquarium.
                There was a multibike comparo is a bike mag (cycle world?) that had a 900 and they made some mention of the Kat 1100 which it sort of replaced, in saying it stopped and handled a little better and was smoother.It was actually a well reviewed bike, but maybe because of the way it looked (some found it ugly) it was a sales dud.To me, it looked almost as if it were the next gen of katana- full fairing bike with detuned gxsr motor only this time it was H20 cooled. I think its failure extended the life of the air cooled katana line.
                I have never ridden one, but in the scheme of things, it does sound like an upgrade from kat 1100 albeit, a very, very small upgrade.
                These bikes sold like a cold sore on prom night and I recall the availability of leftovers for years after they stop making them so yeah, parts would be scarce, no aftermarket to speak of.
                So sad, very nice looking bikes, at least to my eye.

Comment

I'm one of those who thinks that fairing is ugly.

With that said, if you're really thinking about it, it looks like a GSXR 1074 engine will fit but you need the RF-900 head and carbs to fit into the frame.
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                  X