X

Nhtsa Recall: Tech Int'l Tire Valves

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nhtsa Recall: Tech Int'l Tire Valves

Now I have ZERO clue how to identify Tech International snap-in tire valves that are on the market (as compared to other rubber and rubber/chrome snap-in tire valves used in tubeless tires), but NHTSA has issued a recall on the following snap-in rubber tire valves commonly used in the tire-mounting industry:

TECH INTERNATIONAL / TR413 - rubber snap in valve 1 1/4" (30mm) long with a maximum air pressure rating of 65 psi (4.5 bars). Meets all S.A.E. requirements plus Tire and Rim specifications for snap in valves. Maximum speed rating of "U" rating 124mph (200kph). Fitment matches Katana & other standard tubeless motorcycle wheels.

TECH INTERNATIONAL / TR413CH - same as above but with a chrome sleeve.

TECH INTERNATIONAL / TR414 - same as above, but with a 40mm length.

TECH INTERNATIONAL / TR415 - Not applicable to motorcycles (wrong mounting hole size)

TECH INTERNATIONAL / TR418 - TR418 rubber snap in valve 2" (50mm) long with a maximum air pressure rating of 65 psi (4.5 bars). Meets all S.A.E. requirements plus Tire and Rim specifications for snap in valves. Maximum speed rating of "U: rating 124mph (200kph). Fitment matches Katana & other standard tubeless motorcycle wheels.

TECH INTERNATIONAL / TR423 - rubber snap in valve 2.5" (65mm) long with a maximum air pressure rating of 65 psi (4.5 bars). Meets all S.A.E. requirements plus Tire and Rim specifications for snap in valves. Maximum speed rating of "U: rating 124mph (200kph). Fitment matches Katana & other standard tubeless motorcycle wheels.

REFERENCE: NHTSA.GOV - Campaign ID # 08T018000:
    Manufacturer: TECH INTERNATIONAL
    Mfr's Report Date: MAY 30, 2008
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 08T018000
    [b]NHTSA Action Number: N/A
    [b]Component: TIRES:VALVE
    Potential Number Of Units Affected: 6,000,000
    Summary:
    TECH INTERNATIONAL IS RECALLING CERTAIN REPLACEMENT SNAP-IN TIRE VALVE STEMS, MODEL NOS. TR413, TR413CH, TR414, TR415, TR418, AND TR423, MANUFACTURED BETWEEN JULY AND NOVEMBER 2006. THE RUBBER PORTION OF THE VALVE STEM MAY CRACK AND PERMIT THE GRADUAL LOSS OF TIRE PRESSURE.
    Consequence:
    CONTINUING TO DRIVE ON UNDER-INFLATED TIRES COULD DAMAGE THE TIRE, POSSIBLY RESULTING IN A VEHICLE CRASH.
    Remedy:
    TECH INTERNATIONAL WILL REPLACE THE VALVE STEMS WITH NON-DEFECTIVE VALVE STEMS FREE OF CHARGE. FURTHER, IF A DEFECTIVE VALVE STEM HAS CAUSED STRUCTURAL DAMAGE TO A TIRE, THE TIRE WILL BE REPLACED AS NECESSARY. THE RECALL BEGAN ON MAY 13, 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT TECH INTERNATIONAL AT 1-740-967-9015.
    Notes:
    CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

For all of those of you running my tire valves, good on you and no issues for you (you know you're safe!). For those of you running generic rubber or rubber & chrome tire valves, contact the dealer/shop who installed it and ask them what brand & make tire valves they normally install -- mentioning the recall by name. Note that while no motorcycle shop on the planet *should* be using U-rated tire valves anyway, many don't pay attention to such issues when ordering bulk supplies for the work-bays.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Thanks for putting out the info Marc.
    R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
      For all of those of you running my tire valves, good on you and no issues for you (you know you're safe!).
      One more plus!!!
      Pics
      Pics
      No pics yet
      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Oh, and i guess for the newbies who don't know:

I sell a solid billet aluminum tire valve that only has a thin rubber-like EPDM gasket on one flange to actually hold the air. Never breaks, never gets cut, never wears. Cut-away image of what I offer:

Details here: The Best Tire Valves for Motorcycles in the Entire World -- Solid Billet Tire Valves!

But that's not why I started this thread -- I started it because I don't want to see anyone get hurt, injured, maimed or killed because of something as stupid as a failing tire valve.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

As far ad ID'ing those valves, the caps on all except the TR412 are unique-looking.

Oh, and I can not imagine anyone thinking you were posting merely to shill your wares, Marc. No worries there, bro. Thanks for posting.
          "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

CP do u have those tire stems in Green and REd?
            (wanting to get 2 in green and 2 in red)

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post
              CP do u have those tire stems in Green and REd?
              (wanting to get 2 in green and 2 in red)
              Did you go to the link I put on my last post at all (aka details here: http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/tire_valves/index.htm )?

It would have taken you to an automated order page on my site with pics, color choices, etc. And you would have seen that while I do have red ones (as well as blue, black, silver, gold-bronze), I haven't done green to date.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                Did you go to the link I put on my last post at all (aka details here: http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/tire_valves/index.htm )?

It would have taken you to an automated order page on my site with pics, color choices, etc. And you would have seen that while I do have red ones (as well as blue, black, silver, gold-bronze), I haven't done green to date.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet

Yes i went right after i posted that and got my own reply lol....No green lol

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                X