Katriders Rally 2007 - Deals Gap, NC

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Suzuki Katana Talk

Suzuki Katana Talk KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.

Old 03-16-2018, 06:50 AM   #1
Matt88ch
Chicken Strip

Default Just bought a project

Yesterday I picked up a 1994 Suzuki gsx600f katana, bike needs carbs cleaned and I pulled the plastics to fix a crack on one of them and to paint them, also got a new bolt kit for plastics, clutch cable, new plugs, new wires, new blinkers, I'm an auto mechanic in ct and I will upload some pictures of the bike later today when I go to the shop. Hoping to learn a few things a long the way and I will take many pictures as i build the bike the way I want to, it's got 17,000 miles but the bike is in good shape! Excited to start this journey!
Matt88ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:37 AM   #2
92xjunker
Neo-maxoid-zoomed-bweebie
Supporting Member

eBay ID: guysmustang

Welcome to katriders.
If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group
92xjunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:43 PM   #3
shpielers
Kat Legend

Welcome aboard

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles
shpielers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:40 PM   #4
Matt88ch
Chicken Strip

Just a couple of pictures of the bike without the plastics,
Now as for the problem, I have to get new spark plugs "boots"/wires, one of the wires seems torn and the boots have a 90 bend at the wire end, and I need the straight ones instead, and parts for this old bike are hard to find, does anyone have any recommendations for sites/stores?

So far I have to get new:
Spark plugs boots(ones I got have a 90 bend at the end and I need straight ones)
Spark plugs wires(one looks to be torn and had a Jerry rig fix
Choke cable(frozen/rusted somewhere inside)
I seem to have everything else I would need, any info on places to buy parts is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance,
Matt
Old 03-18-2018, 11:03 AM   #5
Kreylyn
Kat King

eBay ID: Kreylyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt88ch View Post

Just a couple of pictures of the bike without the plastics,
Now as for the problem, I have to get new spark plugs "boots"/wires, one of the wires seems torn and the boots have a 90 bend at the wire end, and I need the straight ones instead, and parts for this old bike are hard to find, does anyone have any recommendations for sites/stores?

So far I have to get new:
Spark plugs boots(ones I got have a 90 bend at the end and I need straight ones)
Spark plugs wires(one looks to be torn and had a Jerry rig fix
Choke cable(frozen/rusted somewhere inside)
I seem to have everything else I would need, any info on places to buy parts is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance,
Matt
Ebay or amazon.com. Look for NGK plug boots. You can do a search on NGK official website to get the specific part number to help make the purchase search easier for the best price as well... Pretty much can do that with any part you need if you just find the OEM part number.

Any 7mm solid core plug wire will work for replacement of the wires. You will need to be very careful and use a heat gun to soften up the plastic clips that hold the wires to the coils. If they break, there are no replacements available and so you will need to engineer a new way to make sure they stay on the coils.

Cables can be purchased from any online retailer that sells bike parts. There are OEM and aftermarket versions available. I use ronayers.com, bikebandit.com, mrcycles.com, motorcycle-superstore now j&p cycles, dennis kirk, and lots of others. Using the above mentioned method, I find the specific brand /part number I want, then just google search for the best price. Most times it's gonna hit one of the above mentioned sites.

Good luck with the rebuild!

Krey

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"
Kreylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:39 PM   #6
Matt88ch
Chicken Strip

Today the new clutch cable went in, although I adjusted the slack on the lever to spec the clutch does not engage, I took the cover off again and the rod that pushes into the tranny doesn't move a lot, and I don't think it moves enough to engage the clutch, the only other adjustment is on the 10mm bolt, and that seemed to be maxed out, I took of the clutch cover on the other side and tomorrow will disassemble it and see what if I can find something out of place or siezed up. Also I ordered what I believe to be the right ignition wires with spark plugs caps. Any ideas on what to check or look out for tomorrow when I take apart the clutch and all? Other then that tomorrow I will take out the carbs and clean them out.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:20 PM   #7
Matt88ch
Chicken Strip

So far rebuild is going well, not gonna paint plastics till next season, runs great and is a fun bike, however I do have a sticky starter(in the process of pulling it now, and I have a left hand side clutch push rod seal(?) Leak or somewhere by the push rod, other then that bike is fun and runs well! Thanks for all the help!
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Suzuki Katana Talk