KOTM Nov 2008 Joe Dahero

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Suzuki Katana Talk

Suzuki Katana Talk KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:10 AM   #1
Aolso118
Skid Mark

Default 2001 Kat 600 - Purchasing Questions

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and am in need of some help. I am 19 years old and am looking to buy my first bike, a 2001 Kat 600. It hasnt been run in 3 years, has been stored inside a heated garage under a cover. It has less than 6k miles, the guy is asking $1,400 and says he getting rid of it because he never rides it (he said maybe 10 miles in 3 years of ownership). I went and looked at the bike and did what I thought I should have done when looking it over - throttle cable, firm brakes, has clean brake fluid and oil is tipped off, check for scratches or signs of abuse, etc... (let me know if theres other stuff I should look for). Bike was nice, no scratches except for some on the right side from being dropped, and a dent on the tank. No biggie I dont think. Bike wouldn't start because battery was dead, will be returning to see if I can get it started when he has a new battery. Any thoughts, questions i should ask, things i should look for? Anything helps, thanks in advance!

-AJ

http://photobucket.com/user/Aj_Olson...qp61y.jpg.html

http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/Aj...tml?sort=3&o=2

http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/Aj...tml?sort=3&o=0

Last edited by Aolso118; 04-24-2018 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: Adding pictures
Aolso118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:27 PM   #2
Duro5341
Chicken Strip

Look at the damage from the drop.............and take the cost of replacement parts into account.

Is the fuel tank full or empty?
Full - Does it leak?
Empty - Is there any rust inside it?

Get it running for sure, if it's in a good shape as it looks it should fire up right away. If you turn the fuel petcock to prime for 30 seconds before you start it, it should fire right up. This will also allow you to see if the carb floats are stuck and leaking gas.

If you get it running, put a volt meter across the battery terminals.......you should see 13.5v if the charging system is ok.

Listen for any noises, and possible take around the block to ensure it shifts ok

Just my 2 cents
Duro
Duro5341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:33 PM   #3
Aolso118
Skid Mark

Fuel tank was empty and I didn't see any rust.. but I didn't quite know where to look. The bike looks really nice, chain needs some work but sproket is nice.

I'm not sure what I should do if the bike doesnt start, should I walk away? Or offer less for the bike, is cleaning the carb and possibly replacing other parts to get this thing running worth the headache?

Thank you duro for your help!
Aolso118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:58 AM   #4
shpielers
Kat Legend

2nd post pretty much nailed it

If you're new to bikes an carbs, I would not recommend a non running bike. Carb cleaning can be intimidating. If it won't run, or runs poorly, it's probably carb related.
Having said that, check out the wiki and carbs 102. (Not 101) it's a detailed how to clean/rebuild them.

Having said that, Kat's are amazing bikes. I put 130k on my 600 before it was totaled, picked up a long term 1100 project bike a while back, and replaced the daily driver 600 with a 750 after I finally got an insurance pay out.

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles
shpielers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:28 PM   #5
Duro5341
Chicken Strip

If you can't get it running.................it's worth $1000 in mint condition tops.

Take a small inspection mirror with you to look inside the tank, if it's clean you can be rest assured the rest of the fuel system is probably clean as well, and a simple carb rebuild will get it running. $100-$200 yourself, over $500 if done at a shop.

If you have to rebuild the carbs, be sure to sync them.............either buy the tool for $100 and do it yourself, or pay a shop to do it $250+.

If you see lots of rust on the inside top of the tank, it's a 50/50 shot and advisable to walk away and look elsewhere unless you comfortable with hand tools and carbs.

While Kats are great reliable machines, they are a dime a dozen and running examples will cost between $2000-$3500 depending on engine, year and condition.

Better to spend it on a good running and maintained one, than spend MORE trying to get one running....................

Duro
Duro5341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Suzuki Katana Talk