Katana of the Month - August 2008  lee3645
 

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Exhaust & Mod Shop

Exhaust & Mod Shop Looking for the best exhaust for your Kat or need help with the installation ?
From the Mesh Mod to the Fender Eliminator, installing new signals, Braada Cowls,
Frame sliders or Undertails; Show us all of your custom mods and share your tips here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2018, 08:46 PM   #1
KittKatt
Skid Mark
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1

Default 93 Kat 600 muffmuff

Hey katriders,

I'm a bit confused on the need for a jet kit or not. Reading through a lot of old post and wiki and searches but I'm coming up conflicted, so I wanted to run this by to make sure I'm correct in my thinking.

I would only like to change out my mufflers, but this would take out the necessary back pressure and cause me to run very lean, hence the need for a jet kit to richen the fuel delivery?
KittKatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:51 PM   #2
Kreylyn
Kat King
 
Kreylyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Weaverville, NC
Posts: 15,773
eBay ID: Kreylyn

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittKatt View Post
Hey katriders,

I'm a bit confused on the need for a jet kit or not. Reading through a lot of old post and wiki and searches but I'm coming up conflicted, so I wanted to run this by to make sure I'm correct in my thinking.

I would only like to change out my mufflers, but this would take out the necessary back pressure and cause me to run very lean, hence the need for a jet kit to richen the fuel delivery?
If you have a US model bike, you need a jet kit.

No matter what other mods you do or want to do... EPA regulations has the bike running lean, especially at cruise speeds (so lots of vibrations). The US model isn't adjustable settings. A jet kit gives you that adjustability. Will also need to remove the a/f screw plugs and adjust them too.

Krey
__________________
93 750 Kat



Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"
Kreylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:43 AM   #3
Doc_speeder
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Coaldale Alberta
Posts: 65

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreylyn View Post
If you have a US model bike, you need a jet kit.

No matter what other mods you do or want to do... EPA regulations has the bike running lean, especially at cruise speeds (so lots of vibrations). The US model isn't adjustable settings. A jet kit gives you that adjustability. Will also need to remove the a/f screw plugs and adjust them too.

Krey
Agreed on all points...however...there is a cheap alternative that gets you most of the way there, albeit without the ability to fine tune.

I found that raising the float level slightly (fuel level actually to be clear), and shimming the needles with an aluminum rivet washer (that fits like it was supposed to be there!), and turning out the fuel mix screws from the factory settings works pretty well if you're just doing slip-ons.

But a jet kit is the right answer.
Doc_speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:58 AM   #4
Kreylyn
Kat King
 
Kreylyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Weaverville, NC
Posts: 15,773
eBay ID: Kreylyn

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_speeder View Post
Agreed on all points...however...there is a cheap alternative that gets you most of the way there, albeit without the ability to fine tune.

I found that raising the float level slightly (fuel level actually to be clear), and shimming the needles with an aluminum rivet washer (that fits like it was supposed to be there!), and turning out the fuel mix screws from the factory settings works pretty well if you're just doing slip-ons.

But a jet kit is the right answer.
#4 washer to be more specific on the sizes. Lowes carries them in multipacks in brass I know, for easy of access.

The biggest difference for the jet kit is an improved jet needle design that will provide smoother power curve over all rpms. Shimming a stock needle will just move the issues where the leaner point occurs in the rpm range. Raising the fuel level will over all richen the mix and help to reduce vibrations, this is true. But, if you adjust the carbs with this method to put the a/f mix correct at the dip point (normally the 4-6k range in the rpms) you will end up slightly rich on most of the rest of the rpm range. Running a little richer isn't necessarily a bad thing, but just be aware of what happens.

Krey
Kreylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:41 PM   #5
KAT TOY
Miracle performer
Supporting Member
 
KAT TOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Athens,Ga.
Posts: 5,222

Default

my Factory Pro kit made a big improvement. And I got 50+ mpg depending on wrist action. I believe I used the larger pilot jet and the next size up for the main(I think it was 120). If I rode with a cruiser I have gotten 55 mpg.
__________________
never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself 2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016
KAT TOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

  KatRiders.com > Service Department > Exhaust & Mod Shop

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Katriders.com, Copyright ©2004 - 2018

Like Cigars? Check out Vitola.org