Decal Removal Issue (f'in Pi$$eD)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decal Removal Issue (f'in Pi$$eD)

Hello fellow KRs,

So I decided earlier this week that it was time to strip off the remaining decals/badges on my 99 Kat. I figured I want to get it fixed up and repainting next winter anyhow so why not get ahead of the game right?

Well I would LOVE to know what genius decided it would be a good idea to spray the clear coat over top of the "SUZUKI" tank decals on my bike. Does anyone know if this was something the factory did?

After I peeled away the first 'S' I came to find that there was a perfect 'S' shaped indentation in my paint/clearcoat where the decal had been. Obviously I couldn't just stop after already taking one letter off, so I went ahead and finished the first side.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so do you know if there is any clearcoat/protection in these 'cut-out' spots? Like I said I plan to repaint this winter anyhow, but in the meantime I want to make sure it's at least somewhat protected.

Thanks.
    I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

I do believe the tank is the one area where the decals are clearcoated from the factory.
    Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by woobie
      I do believe the tank is the one area where the decals are clearcoated from the factory.
      Yes, it is to protect the vinyl from being eaten by spilled gas.

Mine are purple... and they have to go. I'm trying it the lazy way first though. That is, I found a new set of "Factory Tank Decals" which are "Correct Size" on ebay. I plan on placing them right over top... and then just not spilling gas on 'em

Nick
      My Karma ran over my Dogma.

Comment

Note to self... don't spill gas on tank where decals used to be.

Pics below...

I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by skasner
          No no, perhaps I wasn't clear. It's that the vynil decals themselves will melt if in contact with gasoline. Therefore they put the tank decals under the clear coat to protect them.

You would be fine if fuel touched "where decals used to be" because that's just painted metal.

N
          My Karma ran over my Dogma.

Comment

ok, well i guess i'll just finish doing the left side and leave it alone until its time for bodywork next winter. if i can swing it, i'll have new "decals" done in paint instead of w/ vinyl.

Comment

Originally posted by skasner
              Shiny side up !!!

Comment

Holy crap, you dug them out from under the clearcoat?!?! Ooo, I have to say I wouldn't have done that. I wonder if the stickers are directly on the paint, or if they did paint-clear-sticker-clear instead. If that were the case, then I imagine you could sand down the clear a little to even it out. Not sure though.

Comment

in sweetlou's write up of how to paint your bike, he stripped the entire tank only because the decals were clearcoated in. that's a PIA, so i've heard.

Long Live the D

Comment

I had the same problem last year, I ended up spreading a skim of body fill over the tank.

Comment

my tank has a dent in it that needs repaired come winter, so we already planned on bead-blasting it and mudding/repairing the dent prior to a new coat of paint anyhow. my main concern is if between now and then i have bare paint (no clear coat) exposed on my tank... which gas would probably eat through.

Comment

Since the damage is done already, what about taking a small can of spray clear and covering it at least temporarily to keep the gas from getting under the current clear?

Comment

any recommendations as far as brand/type/etc of clearcoat to spray on it? application tips?

i am clueless when it comes to painting.

Comment

[edit] double-posted

Comment

To be honest... I just wouldn't worry about it. If you look at my 94 in my profile, mine have been off for the past 2 years waiting for paint. Low and behold, I haven't had any trouble with mine. Mine too were buried under clear coat....

Comment

Working...
                              X