Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Sorry, tried searching, Which oil to use in TX weather?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry, tried searching, Which oil to use in TX weather?

Ill delete this after i get the answer. Im going to change the oil on my '99 Kat 600 tomorrow, just needed to know which is a good one to use with TX weather?
    Also, is it safe to put car oil in a Bike? I jut got an R1 and the guys on that forum put Mobil 1 synth. in it.( with the gold cap)

Thanks
    '01 Black Kat 600

i had no problems running 10w-40. as far as car oil goes, i would stick with motorcycle specific oil. there's many different recommendations and opinions about which type of motorcycle oil to use.

this should help, too.

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Long Live the D

Comment

From my 10-basic Katana upgrades webpage (and also in the owner's manual):

Suzuki's Katana Owner's Manual specifies the following weight oils for use in the '98 - '06 Katana engines:
      SUZUKI'S PRIMARY RECOMMENDATION:
      10W-40 (for ambient temperature ranges of -20° to 40°+ C / -4° to 104°+ F)
      ALTERNATIVE KATANA OIL WEIGHT RECOMMENDATIONS BY SUZUKI:
      10W-50 (for ambient temperature ranges of -20° to 40°+ C / -4° to 112°+ F)
      10W-30 (for ambient temperature ranges of -20° to 30°C / -4° to 86° F)
      15W-40 (for ambient temperature ranges of -15° to 40°+ C / 8° to 104°+ F)
      15W-50 (for ambient temperature ranges of -15° to 40°+ C / 8° to 112°+ F)
      20W-50 (for ambient temperature ranges of -10° to 40°+ C / 15° to 112°+ F)
      NOTE: This means that NO 5 weight oils are recommended by the manufacturer.

MY GENERAL RECOMMENDATION ON OIL WEIGHT:
      If the ambient temp is going to exceed 104° (F) within 18" of the road surface, you should use a 20W-50. Unsure? Would you burn your foot to stand on asphault barefoot? Then use the 20W-50.
      As for grade, best choices will always be JASO-MA PLUS API SF/SG -- API SH only in a pinch and never API SJ/SL/SM. Since virtually all car oils on the market these days are API SJ, SL or SM, that means no car oils unless you can find one still API SF/SG rated without the later ratings.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I know you can also use Motul or Spectro. SinfulF4i lives in Las Vegas and he said those 2 do really well. Also Why don't you check out Amsoil. I am dealer of it and can get you a good price. It is up to you but do not use car oils. Motorcycle engines turn higher revolutions longer than a car does. Most car oils are not designed to withstand that type of abuse. So stick with any motorcycle oil and you will be ok.
        www.mopowersports.com

Comment

I would never use car oil in my bike, basic 10w 40 suzuki oil works very well..especially if you keep up with your oil changes and dont let them lapse too long inbetween.

CP makes good references to the types of oil to use in different conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
            ...basic 10w 40 suzuki oil works very well..
            Actually, I've posted on this before:

SUZUKI LABELED 10w40 HAS BEEN CHANGED TO AN API SL RATED OIL!

As of the end of 2004, Suzuki house-brand motor oil was changed to an API SL rated, which is not desirable for Katana engines. Some dealers may still have older stock which will be API SF/SG or SH rated, and are fine, but avoid using any Suzuki oil with the API SL rating on it.

General rules:
            Any oil which is API SF/SG rated and JASO-MA rated (not merely JASO-MA friction rated) will be a superior choice for your Katana as long as it's in the right weight category.
            With time, you may well come to find that certain oils shed heat better than others even in the same weight and rating categories (I did), and this can be critical in very hot weather environments.

KNOW THIS:
            Although there are a ton of good oils on the market intended specifically for motorcycle use, none have a higher vaporization temp than Mobil 1 MX4T in the 10w40 weight category or than Mobil 1 VTwin in the 20w50 weight category.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I will never again use any motorcycle brand oil. I once bought a case of Suzuki Oil and it smelled like it had just been drained out of a bike and bottled up. I use it in my lawnmower now. Suzuki Oil SUCKS MAJOR ARSE.
              www.mopowersports.com

Comment

I never had a problem with the suzuki brand motor oil in the past.. Ive run it many times in several bikes and never noticed anything out of the ordinary smell, engine running worse than normal etc. But I do usually change the oil more than ever 3000 anyways so I dont allow it break down before its time. I havent bought any since last summer when just after one of the local dealers actually had a fire and part of their shop burnt down, they were liquidating all of their old stock, ( not any fire damaged product of course) , but I got a couple cases of oil for next to nothing. Im about out of it though so I'll probably get some amsoil from jimmy next month when I pull it out of hybernation anyways.

Comment

use 10w40 oil.but use motorcycle oil!!!!it has somthing to help lube the trans.

Comment

Working...
                  X