X

Darn Cold Weather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darn Cold Weather

Just picked up my 98 Katana yesterday. Guy started the bike after about 2 attempts, started with not much trouble. Told me they're a little cold blooded anyway. I'm a new rider, so any info is good info..

I got it home, and it was about 12 degrees at best. Maybe colder. I was excited, and just wanted to hear it run again. Ended up killing the battery trying to get it started. Used a car battery(car was off) to assist, still couldn't get it to turn over.. Instead of buying a slow charger, I just replaced the battery(he said it may need it soon anyway) Remember it started when I picked it up earlier in the day just fine. He says in warmer weather he has no problems starting it.

I'm looking for advice on what adjustments I can make when trying to start it.. Today its still cold, around 30. What choke settings, petcock, etc.. Give it gas or no gas.. Any info is good..

Oh yeah, and after trying all day yesterday, I started to get a couple backfires last night. Thanks !

It's probably flooded. I usally start mine with full choke if its cold no matter what outside temp is. Try pulling the plugs out and let it sit for a few hours. Its -20 here and I tried starting mine, no luck too cold.
    Gripp & Regripp

Comment

I hate to sound like such a n00b, but which way if full choke? All the up or all the way down? It has an arrow pointing down, but because it's my first bike, need some direction.

Comment

Hi there, congrats on your new bike!

More choke is in the direction of the arrow, so full choke would mean that the lever is all the way down (or, towards you if you were sitting on the bike) and zero choke is the lever all the way up (away from you if you were on the bike).

PS - did you get an owner's manual with the bike by chance?
        "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

Thanks! I look forward many great rides on it this summer!

Good to know about the choke.. One day I'll consider it a dumb question I'm sure.. but, for now I AM a n00b.

Unfortunately no.. I've seen'em on eBay and stuff.. So I'm sure it would be a wise investment.

Comment

pull the choke towards you!mine always needs the choke when cold and it is a 2005!have fun

Comment

Full back on the choke and no gas does the job for mine.

It sounds like it's flooded so let it sit for awhile then crank it with a good battery, full choke and no gas.

Comment

If the bike was running a couple of mintues before , do NOT use choke . If it's even warm to the touch , do NOT use choke . You're just asking for fouled plugs if you do , and maybe a dead battery ....
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Check your PM's for a link to the owner's manual for your bike.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Remember not to ride with the choke "on" or engaged; make sure it is fully off or disengaged if u will before you start off..you'll definately do a number on your plugs and your carbs wont be to happy either.

Comment

How long should you keep the choke all the way out? I have to pull the coke out manually, so its either all or none. Normally i leave it out until it will at least run for while its not on, but it still sounds like its about to die. I just usually just ride anyway and it warms up from there. Is this safe?

Comment

Originally posted by Lootrock
                        How long should you keep the choke all the way out? I have to pull the coke out manually, so its either all or none. Normally i leave it out until it will at least run for while its not on, but it still sounds like its about to die. I just usually just ride anyway and it warms up from there. Is this safe?
                        On mine I keep mine all the way out for about 10 seconds, then gradually push the lever forwards, trying to keep the rpms between 1500-2000, once the lever is just past half way I push the lever all the way forward.
                        This usually takes about one minute then the bike runs without the choke at all.

Depending on your location, weather, how long your bike usually sits before being started will depend on how long you will need to run your bike with the choke.
                        I don't know how fast my bike goes, I've never stopped to find out.

Comment

I had the same situation when I first got my Kat. I ended up fowling my spark plugs (d'oh). Yeah, let your bike warm up (so that it idles strong w/o any choke) before you take off on it. You'll thank yourself later.

Comment

Originally posted by Crackshot
                            I had the same situation when I first got my Kat. I ended up fowling my spark plugs (d'oh). Yeah, let your bike warm up (so that it idles strong w/o any choke) before you take off on it. You'll thank yourself later.

You know, I think that's exactly what I did.. So is it a pain to take out the plugs? From what I have been reading you have to take off the tank. Is that difficult/or a pain?

Comment

Well you don't have to take the tank off, you just lift it at the back a bit, pull it back and turn it sideways to get it out of the way. That's after you remove the top three fairing screws and the tank bolts at the back.

Comment

Working...
                              X