X

Taking it out of winter storage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking it out of winter storage

When it gets up to near 50's im going to take my bike for a spin. Its in storage right now. what are somethings i should do before taking it for a ride??

This should give you all the info you need
    motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
    R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Yep between CP's link posted there and searching the KR forums you'll be more than ready when you take your bike out of storage.

Speaking of storage, ..I miss my kat again

Comment

The first warm spell in March or after, the bike is going back on the road. Just about got all the parts together already: fresh oil, new filter, brake fluid, and spark plugs. I already cleaned the air filter and checked the valve adjustment again....oh, waiting on my cowl too!

I bought a jet kit and an advancer, but I want to make sure it is running OK before I start monkeying with the carbs.

Comment

whats winter storage?
          Originally posted by AbeezieSoNeezie

fact: a yammie is a girls bike
          fact: more that one girl rides yammies therefore yammies = a bunch of girls
          fact: girls lie

therefore, the following equation is true.
          girls = yammah
          yammah = a bunch of liars

Comment

Originally posted by freight dog
            The first warm spell in March or after, the bike is going back on the road. Just about got all the parts together already: fresh oil, new filter, brake fluid, and spark plugs. I already cleaned the air filter and checked the valve adjustment again....oh, waiting on my cowl too!

I bought a jet kit and an advancer, but I want to make sure it is running OK before I start monkeying with the carbs.
            Wow, it looks like someone can't wait for good riding weather! I have to admit I've been anxiously waiting as well.
            "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

Originally posted by freight dog

dang freightdog, you've modded the pooh out of that new Kat of yours. last i saw, all you had was the C.A. integrated tailight and the rest was stock.

whenever that semi-warm day comes in march... don't forget to give your buddy sam a call and we'll go for a ride.
              I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
              http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

my poor kitty won't start... so far the theories i've heard are partially dead battery (even though tender says its good) and/or hydro lock from not draining the carbs before i put it away.

all i know is when i hit my starter it makes this buzzing/crackling noise and the engine doesnt turn at all. it started just fine when i put it away in november.
                I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Comment

Try jumping it ?
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by skasner
                    my poor kitty won't start... so far the theories i've heard are partially dead battery (even though tender says its good) and/or hydro lock from not draining the carbs before i put it away.

all i know is when i hit my starter it makes this buzzing/crackling noise and the engine doesnt turn at all. it started just fine when i put it away in november.
                    Check the battery voltage -- if it's under 12.7 volts, replace the battery. Battery tender only tells you how much charge the battery will take at that instant, not whether it's ability to take a charge is bad. A permanently depleted battery will report say it's fully charged according to the battery tender, but won't have enough power to turn the engine over.

Good Luck!
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

sounds like the battery the cold weather take a toll on them

Comment

Was your battery in the bike all winter? what temp was it stored at? if it was in a garage thats not heated and its been sitting in the bike or on a shelf in your garage or something for all this time, chances are good as the others said that it may replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
                          Was your battery in the bike all winter? what temp was it stored at? if it was in a garage thats not heated and its been sitting in the bike or on a shelf in your garage or something for all this time, chances are good as the others said that it may replaced.
                          The battery was sitting in the bike, but was disconnected. It sat for maybe 3-4 weeks before I got the tender on it. It's been on the tender ever since.

The shop is "heated" however I would say the the average temperature in there is around 45 degrees so its certainly not what I would call warm.

I haven't had a chance to try jumping it yet... it's at the in-law's shop which is about 30min from home, and I don't get over there as often as i'd like to.

I plan on going over there Saturday and working on it. First I plan on trying to jump it w/ a car battery, and if that doesnt work I'll start checking it for hydro-lock (smell oil for gas, pull plugs and drain/replace everything if it does have gas in it).

I just don't wanna have to pull the plugs unless absolutely necessary, because i have a feeling it will bea huge pain-in-the-rear.

Comment

Originally posted by skasner
                            The battery was sitting in the bike, but was disconnected. It sat for maybe 3-4 weeks before I got the tender on it. It's been on the tender ever since.
                            I'm telling you -- it's almost gauranteedly the battery. So increadibly simple to test... 30 seconds and you'll have an answer.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                            X