X

Good tires for touring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good tires for touring

Well after reading a few posts on tires it seems that most of the kat riders like the Metzeler Z6 touring tires.... i'm comparing those to the michelin pilots and pirelli diablo's.... would everyone agree that the Z6 are the best one i should go with? I plan on going for a 5,000 touring trip and i also like leaning in my corners so i want something better than the stock ones i have. Thanks
    Shiny side up !!!

Comment

I wanted to get opinions on the Pilots...I was thinking of making them my next tire change..
      Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
      Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Originally posted by Jax
        I wanted to get opinions on the Pilots...I was thinking of making them my next tire change..
        as was i. i've narrowed it down to the z6 and the pilot powers though. most of my riding is commuting to work but after riding some of the twisties out here in austin with black_peter and katrr i definitely want to do more. so i'm left with an epic struggle between good and evil...

Long Live the D

Comment

Check out the Piirelli Diablo Stradas. There are a few us here that really like them.

Comment

For a longer trip like that I would look at the Avon Azaro 45/46 combo. The Avons also come with a limeted warranty in case you get a puncture on the road.

I do love the Strada's, but the Avons will give you the best wear out of any of the tires list while still giving you excellent grip in the twisties. The Z6 is basicaly the same as the Strada BTW. The Pilot Power is an excellent tire, but more sport oriented. The Pilot Roads are an excellent tire as well and more touring than sport but still will allow you to scrape knee pucks when warmed up.

In your case, I would very highly recommend the Avons or Pilot Roads.
            Ron
            MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

I'm a big thumbs-up on touring with the Metzeler Z6's on the Kat.

You'll want to run the pressure a bit on the high side for whatever weight you're carrying on ANY brand of tire (email or PM me and I'll give the pressures for the total cargo load you want for the Metzelers or Pirelli's), carry a plug kit and a either a hand-pump or foot-pump (or equivilent).

Some upgrades to the basic toolkit are recommended as well (there was a thread called "What's under your seat?" that listed my toolkit for touring, but that thread got deleted somehow). The list included spare electrical wire & connectors, fuses, leatherman tool, safety wire and zip ties, a 1/4" drive metric socket set, vice-grips, adjustable wrench, 2 flashlights and spare batteries in a 35mm film case, rag, etc...

Searching about here, you'll also find a good thread on long distance riding do's and don'ts with input from those of us who lay back serious mileage.

I've got my Kat set-up as a touring platform primarily, with such mods as:
              Corbin saddle (comfy perch)
              Givi hardsided bags (waterproof hard luggage with tons of storage)
              Oil temp gauge (engine info -- I sell these, as well as volt gauges)
              Fumoto Oil Drain Valve (permits you to do very simple oil changes on the road; I often swap 1 liter every 1k - 1.5k miles when touring in addition to standard oil changes, just to be on the safe side of the viscosity equation).
              ThrottleMeister throttle-locking bar-ends (think cruise control)

The one thing I don't have installed that I really should have is an automatic chain oiler -- I carry chain oil spray and spray the chain a little ever gas fill-up when touring.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The pilots just rock in my book, a great all around tire that you cant go wrong with. It does everything well. It's a nice combination of comfort and confidence inspiration in the twisties, yet tough enough to last you a long time.

The metzlers and the strada's are top notch tires as well, you really cant go wrong in any choice with those.

Comment

My friend has this one and seems to like it http://www.riderstation.com/oiler.php
                  R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Originally posted by katman05
                    My friend has this one and seems to like it http://www.riderstation.com/oiler.php <<---SCOTOILER
                    I've been trying to get my hands on a LubeTronic (fairly cheap in the UK), and may buy a Pro-Oiler instead (the best model on the market in my mind). The ScotOiler has been around for eons and is well known, but I infinitely prefer the electrical-pump-driven systems to the engine-vacuum-tap system used by the ScotOiler. Among other things, the electrical pumps can handle thicker oils, and are less likely to cause a engine-related issue (because they only suck off some electricity instead of tapping into the vacuum system).

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

What engine related issue? There IS no issue. Does the fuel petcock cause an issue by running off vacuum? No. It's not like you are actually flowing any air, just created a vacuum to open a valve. I use one on my Bandit and love the "fill it and forget it" convenience on a longer trip.

That said, the Pro-Oiler is probably the best on the market, but also one of the most expensive.

If an auto oiler is not is the budget, then make sure you lube the chain at least every other fuel stop. Nothing kills chains like long trips.

Definately run higher pressures as well since that will help the tires run cooler and decrease heat related wear.
                      Ron
                      MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Originally posted by meanstrk
                        What engine related issue? There IS no issue. Does the fuel petcock cause an issue by running off vacuum? No. It's not like you are actually flowing any air, just created a vacuum to open a valve. I use one on my Bandit and love the "fill it and forget it" convenience on a longer trip.
                        I've run into various users who have had vacuum leak issues (carb issues) because of the vacuum tap & hose system for the Scot and not taken it into consideration when troubleshooting their problems -- although I will grant that most of these were already installed for years at that point. Just figure one less thing to concern myself with.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

After having Metzlers and Michelins on my 750 I tryed the Avons,for me they are the best so far.

Comment

Working...
                          X