• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's an exact step-by-step for the 98+ models:

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Well good news.. After replacing the battery and keeping it charged with a slow charger, and last night getting new plugs.. Works great!

Had it running for about 15 minutes, slowly closing the choke as the RPMs got higher, but seems it didn't like the choke being fully closed, RPMs went sub 1K, and eventually stalled.

Comment

check your idle screw?

Long Live the D

Comment

idle should be sub 1k if I remember right. But zero is not an acceptable idle speed.

My current ride of choice

Comment

i think the "correct" idle is 1200. that was on a pre98, not sure if it's the same on 98+.

Long Live the D

Comment

Originally posted by paradoxmd
              i think the "correct" idle is 1200. that was on a pre98, not sure if it's the same on 98+.
              98+:
              Warm idle should be 1100-1300 RPM on the 49-state model, 1200-1400 rpm higher on the California model, according to the owner's manual. I keep mine set about 1250 RPMs.

Setting the idle too low will cause the bike to have problems with cold starts, cold running and general reliability (affecting other systems as well, such as electrical generation -- the bike will run at 950 RPM if in good shape, but it won't charge enough to offset both headlights burning at that RPM speed).

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
              X