X

New brake lines and caliper rebuild

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New brake lines and caliper rebuild

So, I put on the HEL brake lines and rebuilt the calipers. I've filled the master cylinder reservoir and now the brake handle can be pulled all the way back with no effort. When I start to pull, air bubbles pop out of the solution in the reservoir. Should I continue pulling until all of those little air bubbles pop out and will the tension in the lever return to normal eventually?

I've noticed reverse bleeding mentioned and what not in past posts, but I don't think I've ever seen the question posed exactly like this. Thanks for any help.

Ok, at first it wouldnt bleed through the normal bleeders. Now it is bleeding, but there doesn't really appear to be air coming out and there is still no effort required to pull the brake lever.

Looks like the answers to the first questions were all yes. Effort is SLOOWWWWLLLYYY increasing and now I can see the pads being pushed against the rotor.

It's gonna take a long *** time to bleed these. Oh, and I still cant see any air in what's being bled. But apparently there is some.
    Last edited by Dago; 10-22-2008, 01:45 PM.

Yeah , pump for a while , then tie the lever back to the bar overnight and let it sit , then open the bleeder the next day and continue . May have to do that a FEW times . I did . And I'm STILL not entirely convinced I got it all out . But my brakes work ok . Yeah , it's sucks donkey balls .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Yeah I called him and gave him a quick how to. Seems like on the 98+ bikes it is harder to get the brakes to bleed up quickly.
      www.mopowersports.com

Comment

When I had my rear end apart, after putting it back together it took a while to bleed my rear brakes also.
        myspace
        2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

I did a rebuild a while back on my brakes and my buddy had a suction unit that he picked up from a nursing home (dont ask me what they used it for) but it works GREAT for bleeding brakes. It has it's own collection cup and will suck all the bubbles out, but you do need to be careful to keep the reservoir filled.
          The story of my life.... "she ain't pretty, but she'll do for now"

Comment

When I swapped out my fronts a while back, I left them sitting, sucks from the bottom and pushed from the top. Nothing worked. Out of frustration I grabbed the lever HARD. Worked like a champ, apparently. Solid performance. Just need new pads now.
            Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
            -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
            -Terence

Comment

Wow, my front brakes still aren't bled but about halfway. Rears are good though.

Comment

Working...
              X