X
X

Ethanol - A "new" issue to look for...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys here in Melbourne we run e10, 95 octane or shell v 98 octane. I have used all of these in the kat and have not noticed a hell of a difference in economy or power but!!! I have had to clean the carbs 3 times in 6 months WTF. Its really annoying as i never really see any crud/rust it just runs like crap till i clean them. My old honda 1980 cb900 only gets its carbs cleaned once every 2 years but the main jets are huge compared to the kat mains. my 6 months of riding has put 10,000ks on the kat that already had 80,000ks on it. compression still good but now i have seen Krey's post i think i will pay closer attention to whats in the carbs when i strip them and stick to 95 octane fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by mammut89 View Post
      I have no problems with this issue. over here most 95octane is 5 % or 10% ethanol. no clogging here
      I'll kinda confirm this, as our UK unleaded fuel is the to the same Standard and maximum allowable ethanol content as his and also the Euro Standard too.
      The only issues on carb gumming from any of the bikes I've run have been crud from the petrol tank (gotta love the reserve feed) but on clean fuel there's not been any issues that have stood out as a great change over the past couple of years.
      Apart from the price that is. Gotta hate the price increases.

Comment

I have found the Startron to work well, as I have been using it for the last 6 or 7 months without any issues.
        My bike has never run better, and it has 24k miles on it.
        Thumbs up for Startron!

Comment

ok

Comment

So using an additive such as Startron or Stabil is the consensus regarding the problems associated with ethanol in the gas? So I should use something like this when I fill up?

Comment

Originally posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post
              So using an additive such as Startron or Stabil is the consensus regarding the problems associated with ethanol in the gas? So I should use something like this when I fill up?
              It's only an issue if you are going to let the bike sit for a week or more. If you ride it every day, it's a non-issue.

Comment

Then it probably will be an issue for me. My bike is going to be recreational and not a primary means of transportation. I run an IT company outside of work and I'm constantly transporting computers and laptops all over the place. I work all the time so I can see the bike sitting for awhile as a real possibility.

Is the product I linked to the one I should use?

Comment

Found this in the UK

This is a UK govermement site and does state that there are known issues with Ethanol when added greater than 5%

Comment

I live in a very humid area and I'm worried about the ethanol or any alcohol based fuel additives absorbing moisture from the air. I cover the bike whenever I'm not riding it and the cover is more or less waterproof but the seal on my gas cap is old brittle and cracking. Also, for whatever reason the cap does not close as far down as I feel it should. In addition, the last time I took the tank off and removed the vent(?) hose I noticed a bit of rust around the nozzle on the bottom of the tank. Are the tanks double walled? What is that drain hose for? I plan on using marine stabilizer, keeping the inline filter changed, and using 91/93 octane fuel only from now on. Is there also a pre-screen or filter somewhere in the petcock or down by the carbs I should be aware of?

Comment

Here is a link that lists "real" gas sellers in the USA and Canada
                      Pure-gas.org is the definitive web site listing stations that sell pure gasoline in the U.S. and Canada.
                      My YouTube Videos
                      My motorcyle map!

Comment

Originally posted by Farlander View Post
                        I live in a very humid area and I'm worried about the ethanol or any alcohol based fuel additives absorbing moisture from the air. I cover the bike whenever I'm not riding it and the cover is more or less waterproof but the seal on my gas cap is old brittle and cracking. Also, for whatever reason the cap does not close as far down as I feel it should. In addition, the last time I took the tank off and removed the vent(?) hose I noticed a bit of rust around the nozzle on the bottom of the tank. Are the tanks double walled? What is that drain hose for? I plan on using marine stabilizer, keeping the inline filter changed, and using 91/93 octane fuel only from now on. Is there also a pre-screen or filter somewhere in the petcock or down by the carbs I should be aware of?
                        I often live in a very humid (tropical) area, where all gas is 20-25% ethanol depending on how the government is feeling. It's a non-issue. It won't pull moisture from the air (though it will absorb and harmlessly carry away condensation in the tank that would otherwise cause rust and poor performance).
                        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Reading alot on this thread and im kinda new to bikes but not new at all to cars so i do understand motors and so forth. My question is if ethanol is clogging carbs and jets why dont people just buy non-ethanol gas and not have problems? I have 87,89,93 octane fuel with 10% of ethanol but they also have the Marine grade 90 octane non-ethanol could you tell me the best fuel to put in my motorcycle????

Comment

All cali fuel is 10% ethanol, I use chevron. I have the same ethanol beads. stabil ethanol treatment doesn't seem to work at recommended mix.
                            My cage, using 91, has a "life time fuel filter" clogs yearly have to change yearly at $150 a pop.
                            The dealer doesn't recommend fuel additives be used on my cage..
                            the only fuel i've found that doesn't have ethanol is the Flying J truck stop, pings bad though. good for bike not for cage....
                            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran
                            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Not everyone has ready access to non-ethanol fuel. Some of us just have to deal with it. Mentioned this in your intro thread but anything over 87 octane is generally a waste of money but if you can get non-ethanol fuel I'd go for it. Only thing I'd watch is that it may not be legal to use marine grade fuel in a street vehicle so you may not be able to just pull up to the pump. You might have to fill a gas can and transfer to the bike somewhere private just to keep from getting the marina in trouble. That'd be kinda a pain.
                              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                                Not everyone has ready access to non-ethanol fuel. Some of us just have to deal with it. Mentioned this in your intro thread but anything over 87 octane is generally a waste of money but if you can get non-ethanol fuel I'd go for it. Only thing I'd watch is that it may not be legal to use marine grade fuel in a street vehicle so you may not be able to just pull up to the pump. You might have to fill a gas can and transfer to the bike somewhere private just to keep from getting the marina in trouble. That'd be kinda a pain.

So a non ethanol or 90 oct will keep crap from clog, gumming and just run like ****? I can pull up to the pump here in Florida and pretty much do whatever i want so to speak.

Comment

Working...
                                X