02 to 06 Tail swap help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 02 to 06 Tail swap help

Hey guys,
    So I was wondering if there's a diagram of the tail assembly for the 06 models. I've found the manual which had details for the 02 models on the boards, but no luck with 06.

Here's the situation, I bought an 06 tail fairing in order to replace my 02 bumble bee look. The problem was that it didn't come with the brake light or brake light bracket, so I bought it off ebay. I might be making an *** of myself, but I cant figure out how this brake light mounting bracket attaches to the tail fairing. Is there something I'm missing? Maybe there's another version of this light bracket or another piece that I'm not aware of? It just doesn't line up with any of the screw holes..

go to www.ronayers.com
    you can look up the OEM parts fishe and it will show you all the parts
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

the bracket you have is from a hayabusa. the taillight housing and wiring is all the same but the bracket is different. the bracket for the katana doesn't have that extra lip at the top of the bracket.

here is the link for the katana bracket: http://www.bikebandit.com/suzuki-mot...m9761sch511943

here is the link for the hayabusa bracket: http://www.bikebandit.com/suzuki-mot...m9759sch509640

see the difference.

i personally bought mine from bike bandit. just did mine about 3-4 weeks ago and it bolted on like a champ! good luck!
      Last edited by t.c.mitchell; 10-09-2009, 05:38 PM. Reason: added the links
      R.I.P. Marc- You will be missed!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Comment

Yup... I learned this the hard way..
        I simply cut the top lip off.. she's all put back together.. the new tail looks nice..
        I'll post pics soon.

Cheers

Before:

And after:

Last edited by flashstar; 10-09-2009, 06:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Looks good. I like the black tail much better, not sure I like those silver/grey stripes with your paint job though.
          OldYella
          2002 Katana 600

My Katana Project
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103012
          sigpic

Comment

looks good, I have the 02, I was thinking about doing the swap too.

Comment

thx.. I wasnt too sure about the gray either.. but it grew on me.. looks great in person.. Overall, with the race windscreen and the tail, the bike looks much more sporty

Comment

Looks good, I'm doing the same soon, still have to find a tail light bracket. What type of windscreen is that? Where did you buy it? Price? Thanks.

Comment

It's a 1994-2008 Kawasaki Ninja EX 500R smoked windscreen. It was about $40 USD + a few for shipping. You have to modify it pretty good, but its well worth it.. it was a bit tricky.. see this thread for instructions: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=81278

Comment

hey flashstar, where did you pic up your 03+ tail at? I am in sw ontario and was wondering if you pick it up local or ordered it. considering the swap if it makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by krunchkat99 View Post
                      Looks good, I'm doing the same soon, still have to find a tail light bracket. What type of windscreen is that? Where did you buy it? Price? Thanks.
                      Hey check out bikebandit.com If you click on oem parts, and then select your year katana or the year you want parts from (which would be an 03+ for the tail parts) and you can get any piece of the bike you want. It even has all the exploded part drawings so it is easy to find the piece you need. I used the site to get bolts I was missing, actual suzuki parts too. I looked up the taillight bracket and it is about $15.
                      99 Katana - 08 WR250X - 77 Chevy Vega - 89 Caravan 3.0 - 89 Caravan 2.2 Turbo - 07 G5 - 04 Sierra

Comment

new tail looks good

Comment

Originally posted by affliction View Post
                          hey flashstar, where did you pic up your 03+ tail at? I am in sw ontario and was wondering if you pick it up local or ordered it. considering the swap if it makes sense.
                          Everything off ebay.. light, bracket and tail..

I found the light + bracket for $4 + shipping..

Comment

cool thanks. Might tackle this over the winter if i get the time. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being difficult what would everyone rate this mod?

Comment

Working...
                            X