X

Warped Farings...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warped Farings...

I have the 06 750, and I have noticed that my plastics have started to warp a little on both sides at the top of the exhast system. I know it is caused by heat, but does any one know how to prevent this from causing more damage to my fairings?

heat wrap??
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

You can heat wrap or have the ehxaust ceramic coated. You can apply heat sheeting to the back of the fairings.

For that much heat to be generated, either the bike is being used at extended period of times at low speed not allowing it to cool, or the bike is running very lean (maybe both... ).

If your in alot of stop/go traffic, I would suggest looking at doing a fan on the cooler mod to help with that. I would also check to make sure the bike isn't overly lean. If it is, clean the carbs, adjust them, and consider a jetkit.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Mine were warped to high hell before I bought it, like the p.o. just let her sit and idle...and overheat. When I reworked the fairings with a heat gun, abs epoxy and repaint, I wrapped mine with some of that volcano rock tape and sprayed 'em down with the black silicone spray.

Comment

This may be a dumb question, but what do you mean by 'running lean'?

Comment

The "ideal" air:fuel ratio going into a running engine is 17:1. Lean is when there's less fuel in that ratio (>18:1) and rich is when there's more fuel (<17:1). Stock configuration tends to be fairly lean in order to get past EPA standards. The usual fix for this is to adjust the Air/Fuel mixture screws. (See the Carbs 102 Wiki for how to do that.)
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Athom03 View Post
              This may be a dumb question, but what do you mean by 'running lean'?
              Not enough fuel in the air/fuel mixture is a lean condition. Engines will run warmer or hot if the condition gets too extream.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

its normal.

Take it for one hell of a hard ride and shut it down with little cool down time and the heat will warp the plastics... hell you should see the backside of my front fender... its trashed. I did that after a 15 mile run 2 up, of tight 3-4 gear twisties and waiting for several minutes for the group to catch up. you could smell the plastics cookin lol
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

yea.. the previous owner of my bike must have let mine idle without moving as well.... warped the plastic and the back of the wheel cover plastic to $hit!....

On a side note... what kind of problems could be expected from letting the bike run too hot like that? any motor problems I should look for? my bike seems to be running good right now.
                  Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

head gaskets tend to leak if overheated and they knock and rattle a lot... otherthen that these are pretty much bullet proof.
                    if it gets too hot the engine will seize up but I have not persoanlly seen one of these engines get that hot. They are jetted slightly rich in the upper circuits for this reason, lean down low.

when jetting I tend to lean out the top end and leave the low end slightly richer to help cool the engine temps when you close the throttle.
                    98 GSX750F
                    95 Honda VT600 vlx
                    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                    X