X

wet plugs etc

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wet plugs etc

My 1993 GSX 1100 F that I bought new in 93 wont start, if I leave it for a couple of days then try to start it the plugs are wet,. I pull the plugs a warm them and sometimes it starts, When I put it into prime the fuel like is not leaking into the engins. Help needed.

Why are you switching it to prime?? The fact that your plugs are wet means you have gas in the carbs.Sticky float needles may be flooding your cylinders,better check your oil for gas in it!
    Bikes:89 1100f 88 1100f 82 goldwing aspencade 82 goldwing naked

Comment

Originally posted by 4wred View Post
      Why are you switching it to prime?? The fact that your plugs are wet means you have gas in the carbs.Sticky float needles may be flooding your cylinders,better check your oil for gas in it!
      +1. If you've got wet plugs you've got fuel leak
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I bought a see through remote fuel tank so I could see if the fuel level drops over night.
        Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.

You can find them cheaper or make your own.
        EDIT: Actually it could take several days to notice a leak because some times its just a tiny drip. So 1 or 2 weeks may be a better test.
        Last edited by katanarider; 05-27-2016, 09:06 AM.
        My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Hey guys, he said the plugs are wet after trying to start it. That's after the engine is pulling gas into the cylinders, so wet plugs are normal then.

I'd check for spark, check the plug wires, and maybe put in new plugs. If it has sat all winter and this is the first time you're trying, it could be that the battery isn't giving enough voltage to fire the spark plugs, and warming them up in just enough to barely help.

If you're not getting fuel on prime, then lack of fuel might be the problem. Could be that the carbs need cleaning, fuel filter blocked, petcock isn't functioning properly, or kinked fuel line.

Comment

I'm going with ain't gettin shit for spark. +1 on the battery, Kats need a good strong battery, having it tested wouldn't hurt.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

There's not enough info here: Unless he gives us some feedback were all just shooting in the dark!

Comment

That normal here...30 posts later we'll have everything...
                I'll start the Q&A.
                What is your bat voltage while starting?
                What is the coil input voltage while starting?
                How was the bike stored? (Inside or out possible water in the fuel.)
                Fuel additive?
                Last edited by 92xjunker; 05-27-2016, 10:48 PM.
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran
                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Mine is always reluctant to start after winter storage. Just a little squirt of engine starting fluid does the trick. Pretty sure that stuff isn't good for it but hey, 70,000mi. and 24 years she still runs great and doesn't use any oil.

Comment

Originally posted by 4wred View Post
                    My mistake I meant to say when in prime fuel runs out of the fuel line when its pulled off, but not when petcock is in its normal position when fuel line is pulled of the carbs.

Comment

Petcock is vacuum operated.

A plunger opens and closes to allow gravity to pull fuel through it. If the motor is not turning over to generate vacuum, no fuel is going to flow on a properly working petcock.

This is the reason for prime... to prime the float bowls before you try to start the bike.

Use prime only when you want fuel to flow with no engine running/turning over. Like prior to starting after a long duration sit (days, not hours)

When the engine is turning over vacuum should open the plunger and allow fuel to flow then. If your seeing fuel not flowing when the engine is turning over in the on position for the petcock, check the vacuum line is properly connected and sealing/has no holes. If that is not an issue, then you probably need to clean/rebuild the petcock. The diaphragm internally may have a hole in it allowing the vacuum to leak and not hold the plunger open.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Wet plugs

4wred, the reason I switched it to prime was to see if the gas was going through to the carbs, Then I switched back to normal position. Once or twice when trying to start the bike I had a loud backfire, so I am thinking gas has drained into the crankcases.

Comment

Working...
                        X