X

gsxr 1100

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gsxr 1100

I came across a wrecked 88 gsxr 1100, and am considering picking it up for the motor. as I am currently already in search of a motor for my 88 600 (due to the 2nd gear issue). From what I know the 88 1100 is an oil colled that will work, but is there anything that I should look out for as a red flag on the motor? In other words are they notoriously bad in any 1 particular area? IS anybody interested in other parts off the bike? The cost is more than I want to spend on the motor, but if I can part out the rest I may go for it.

thanks

www.SOARacing.ca

Basically a bulletproof engine but at least check compression before you buy, it will tell you most about the engine's condition and how it was ridden.
    Apart from that check mileage, above a solid 60-70K you MAY expect vaster reparations

Comment

GO FOR IT!!!!

Make sure that the engine case covers for like the starter gear, timing cover and what not are not cracked from the crash. If they are, they may be able to be fixed with JB Weld. Also, before putting it in, I would adjust the valves. Also, do a full oil change (if the engine is out, i would drain it out of the oil cooler as well) Also, I would replace the valve cover gasket while you have it off, and if you are feeling really squirrly, since the engine is already outa the bike, change the head gasket as well, its really not all that hard, just make sure to keep tnesion on the cam chain so you don't have to tear it down below the head gasket to line up the chain if it were to come off the gear at the bottom!!!!

While you have it apart, I would check all the valves, make sure they look good, and are not cracked or anything. Being a 88, you may have some valved that MAY need to be replaced. Then again, they bike may have been taken very good care of, and may be good to go!

Let us know if you get it!
      Kan-O-Gixxer!
      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
      -Ohlins Susupension
      -Various Other Mods

Comment

Oh, you may also want to replace the exhaust gaskets. Just kinda go through and do somewhat of a small rebuiuld if ya know what I mean.
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

the guy hasn't emailed me back so it may be sold. I'm still on the hunt for a motor, but I got a line on a guy with a good 750 close by.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Working...
          X