No announcement yet.
X

HOW TO: Replace Your Grips

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks pretty sweet, as long as its standard measurements I would think u'd be fine.

Comment

yep, pro grip 719's, I have them in blue. filing the out part of the right grip, hmmmm. great right up and worthy of a sticky.

I guess I will be the one to say it, let's see the person that goes with those hands.
      TDA Racing/Motorsports
      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
      Who knows what is next?
      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

to put the right grip on i boiled a pot of hot water and had a friend hold it close to the grip as i pulled the grip on. the steam from the pot of water made the grip softer and easyer to handle. total work time fifteen minutes, but i cut my old grips off.

Comment

anyone have any issues with the 719's seeming a little small on the throttle handle? it seems like I'm not going to be able to cover all of area with the new 719

Comment

How much smaller?

Other than cutting a circle out of the end of the grip, and having to trim away at the opening of the grip, you shouldn't have any other issues with them...
            "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

I didn't need to cut a hole at the end of the grips, they were already open? do they come in different sizes? if so how do you know what size they are?

Comment

Fitting problem gone for me, I actually shaved all the grooves out of the plastic on the throttle side. Including the edge at both ends..

Now everything I buy will fit.

Only problem is you can't really go back to the stock ones...

Aramis

Comment

I still have a gap on my throttle side grip similar to the one in the picture. When I put the grip closer the the inside then I just get a gap on the outside (by the handlebar ends). Any advice? Also, I did not have to cut anything out, mine already had open ends on both sides

Comment

Originally posted by robm
                    I still have a gap on my throttle side grip similar to the one in the picture. When I put the grip closer the the inside then I just get a gap on the outside (by the handlebar ends). Any advice? Also, I did not have to cut anything out, mine already had open ends on both sides
                    Are you using ProGrip #719's?

Even if you were, I wouldn't be surprised - not all #719's are the same. I think I've seen, like, 3 different #719 model grips. Anyway, keep in mind that there is supposed to be some gap on both ends so that the grip doesn't drag on the bar ends or the control cluster. Also, if you haven't yet, put the bar end back on to see if that might close some of the gap on the outside. Then you can center the grip between the bar end and the control cluster.

Ultimately, I don't think there's much you can do. The grip is only so long - but it should be as long as the OEM grip so you shouldn't have any increased gaps...
                    "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

Yeah, it's the #719... but I was worried that they might have different sizes in the same model. It's strange because the left handlebar grip is the same size as stock but the throttle side is shorter. Basically I got the grip all the way in so there's no gap on the control cluster end but there's 1/8 - 1/4" gap between the grip and the bar end. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by robm
                        ...Basically I got the grip all the way in so there's no gap on the control cluster end but there's 1/8 - 1/4" gap between the grip and the bar end.
                        Even the stock setup had a small gap on the control cluster end - maybe between 1/16 - 1/8 of an inch, if I recall (at least ours did). If you wanted, slide the grip away from the cluster a little to close the bar end gap.

Here's the stock gap that I'm talking about (photo ganked from this thread).

Comment

Good write

Previous owner stripped the bolt. I was able to get it off. Where can I get the bolt. I'm still having hard time taking left side grips. Oh well left one is the only grip I need to replace. I'm going to give it another try. Thanks you again.

Comment

Hardware store .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Thanks for this. I just did this and it work great.

Thanks,
                              Ryan

Comment

Thanks for the info. Got my grips off OK (had to cut em) but I put chrome grips on. They look real good and I got the left one on with a rubber mallet and some hairspray. The throttle was a royal pain as I had to file down the entire flange before malleting this on. Since they're chrome there isn't a lot of give to them so when I was trying to pount it all the way on (trying to cover the very end of the throttle where the previous grip was tucked in) I heard a snap and now the switch assembly is loose. I really don't want to replace it because that will entail getting the grip off which I don't want to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X