Recommended tools?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended tools?

Hey riders,

I've searched the forums and couldn't find what I was looking for so I'll ask. My Kat didn’t come with the OEM tools, are they worth picking up? Or would you guys recommend other tools to keep on the Kat. Mines a 04 600? Yes I’m a new to riding and may not know what the tool is. Pictures would be awesome. Thanks!

Hellssorrow

If you didn't get the tool pouch with the bike - I'd recommend picking one up online for about $30.

It's got most of what you'll need to do basic roadside fixes and get you home, fits neatly under the seat, and has a sparkplug socket that's hard to find anywhere else.

For real work, get the best you can, but the kit has got me home or to a repair shop more than once.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy View Post
      ... and has a sparkplug socket that's hard to find anywhere else.
      ^^^^^^^+1

other than the spark plug socket there isn't much special. some Allen keys, a few wrenches and some pliers. I'm trying to think of what you couldn't do with what you have in the oem tools and it's not much unless you are getting really into it.
      Last edited by Maverick.Marq; 06-26-2013, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Stumpy & Maverick.Marq thank you.

Comment

The spark plug socket can be replaced with an 18mm deep well socket from Autozone. It's got thin enough walls to reach in there just fine and it's a lot easier to use than the one in the tool kit.

The only tool in the oem kit that I find really useful is the axle wrench. It's nice to have the ability to adjust the chain away from home and I'd be hard pressed to find a lighter, easier to pack wrench in that size.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

The only things I had to go out and buy was a socket for the front sprocket nut, I can't remember the size(22mm maybe?) but it was bigger than most socket sets contain. Only need it every few years, but worth getting. if you've got basic tools already you could put one together.

Here's an ebay listing to give you an idea of what's in one.
            Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by woobie View Post
              The only things I had to go out and buy was a socket for the front sprocket nut, I can't remember the size(22mm maybe?)
              32mm
              Last edited by arsenic; 06-26-2013, 02:13 PM.

Comment

I bought the obsolete part from partzilla and they upgraded me to the new tool kit for free. I think they changed it though but you can probably still order an obsoleted one for a lower price and get the new one

I saved around 20 dollars

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
                X