Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

'99 750 Rear shock about to go, now what?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '99 750 Rear shock about to go, now what?

Hello, after a full service today my trusted mechanic made me notice that my rear shock is on is way out and suggested to change it (trusted this guy for years). Can you experienced Katriders please clear few initial questions I have:
    1. The stock shock of a gsx750f '99 cannot be rebuild right (so I've been told) ?
    2. The only rear shock that I can find straight fit, without going poor, are Hiyperpro or Hagon at about 450-550 $ from Ebay, correct?
    3. I saw a few used shocks for sale from wreckers on ebay but being useless I am wondering how do you know if the shock you buy is not as bad as the once you have, is it just luck?
    4. Do stock rear shocks post '99 can be changed between years (i.e. can a just buy lets say a 2003 shock for my '99)?

Thank you for helping a very confused new rider

1. Yes, it can
    2. Incorrect Rear Shock interchange guide
    3. Contact KR member Tmod, he is the resident suspension guru, he'll get you set up better than anyone else can
    4. 98-06 Katana 750 rear shocks are all the same

Comment

Thank you I will look for Tmod see what he says, nothing for post +98 750 on the interchange list tho...
      Last edited by pistaMunno; 10-19-2012, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Maybe not on that list in particular. I was just posting an example for you. This forum has roughly 1000's of threads on different rear shocks you can use.

Comment

I see... lots of choice. That's good, but also bad. Thanks.

Comment

The thread on shocks is out of date, but the wiki article has been updated
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

So after Tmod consulting and lots of searching I have 3 options:
              -Have the original shock locally rebuild by a suspension shop for 280$
              -Buy a 2002 750 shock with 16000km for 165$
              -Buy a new Hagon shock for 320$

Can't/don't want to spend more than that.
              What would you guys do?

Comment

I would just rebuild to stock shock and have it sprung and revalved for you.
                1992- project katfighter
                2005- GSXR750
                2001- TL1000R
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Option 2 may be ok if u want to get out of it cheap...but how long will it last??...With only $40 difference between option 1 and 3 i would go with option 3. Then either option 1 or 3 would be better than option 2...at least that way you know you have a new shock...

Maybe a bit late with my post...lol. Didn't check dates..
                  Last edited by maverick57; 12-20-2012, 06:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                  X