Meanstrk - December 2005 Katana of the Month

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Touring 411

Touring 411 Stop into this area for all things touring related. Get all the info. you need
on how to prepare for long rides and tours. Whether you're a true iron butt
or a beginner to long rides, this is where you want to be.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:27 AM   #1
cas17013
Chicken Strip

Default Hard cases on a pre 750..... Pics?

So I have ordered a 50 liter Shad topcase, and two 43 liter sidecases for my 750, and I was wondering if anyone has any photos of mounts for any type of hard cases? There are several good mounting points, and I already have a few ideas, but if anyone has some photos of a proven system, I would love to see them.

I have a spare seat on the way that I plan to modify for touring, and in addition to the cases, I plan to fabricate a rack in place of the pass. seat to anchor my tent, sleeping bag, and probably some accomodation for an aux. fuel tank.

I hope to have everything ready for my first moderate trip in mid August... Maybe a little earlier to go for a shakedown ride, and get the feel of the extra weight hanging off the bike.
cas17013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
squiggy
Kat Master

Doesn't look like anyone has one.

I could post up my Post Kat with Givi luggage but your not asking for that.
squiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
cas17013
Chicken Strip

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggy View Post
Doesn't look like anyone has one.

I could post up my Post Kat with Givi luggage but your not asking for that.
I did not really expect anyone to have anything, but decided to give it.

This evening, I started to fab something up. I think I will eventualy bend/weld a propper mount, but this should work to figure out my placement, etc.

I started with a spare seat shortened to the rear latch since it frees up tons of space for tool storage. From there I made a framework to mount the topcase, and bags.

Here are a few photos of what I have so far......

The whole thing is still in it's infancy..... I still need to add a few fasteners, cut some brackets/hooks, and enclose the area formerly occupied by the rear of the seat. And then if it all works well, start from scratch, and build something a little less Mickey Mouse looking.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:14 AM   #4
squiggy
Kat Master

That Shad case looks nice.

Are you using the Ryobi band saw to cut the metal pieces? If so how's it working? It seams those small bandsaws are designed to cut wood than metal. Something about the speed of the blade. It would be much cheaper than a real metal bandsaw.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:55 AM   #5
cas17013
Chicken Strip

I was using the small bandsaw to cut lexan to enclose the area opened up by the seat modification. With the right blade it will cut thin aluminum if the guides are set just right. The larger aluminum bits were cut in a circular miter saw with a carbide tipped blade made for metal. For occasional use, the Ryobi is a nice versatile saw, I have a larger one, but I am lazy so I just carried this from my shop rather than walk back, and forth for every cut.

My initial impression of the Shad case is good. I would say it is on par with the low end Givi cases, plus it was a blemished unit I got for a song on Ebay so I am very happy for the cost. I also bought two side cases, but UPS was not very kind to them. I wound up finding the soft Eclipse bags, and decided for now they will be fine. With a little luck, I will have time to fab up the remaining bits before the weekend so I can take them on a weekend trip.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #6
squiggy
Kat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas17013 View Post
I was using the small bandsaw to cut lexan to enclose the area opened up by the seat modification. With the right blade it will cut thin aluminum if the guides are set just right. The larger aluminum bits were cut in a circular miter saw with a carbide tipped blade made for metal. For occasional use, the Ryobi is a nice versatile saw,
I would be nice to have a small metal cutting bandsaw like that Ryobi for my projects that require cutting up to 3/16" thick aluminum.

There's a dedicated metal bandsaw from MicroMark but right now it's too expensive.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:36 AM   #7
cas17013
Chicken Strip

With a little coolant, and the right blade setup you could use the Ryobi for 3/16. The problem is it will start to track wierd if your making a long cut.

For what it's worth, I have a CNC router, a real metal bandsaw, and a plasma cutter, and I still use the Ryobi on occasion for the small freehand stuff.

I would watch Craigslist.... I have seen the small bandsaws for as little as $40.00. Makes it cheap enough to try it, and resell if it does not work. The right blade is key.... I think the one I am running was bought online from Enco. The Vermont American blades they normaly sell at the home imporivement stores do not last very long, and once dull they are not accurate.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:12 PM   #8
40something
Track Rider

I like what you have done so far. Keep us posted on the progress. As far as it looking Mickey Mouse I disagree. I think you have a foundation to finish this one up.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:01 PM   #9
cas17013
Chicken Strip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40something View Post
I like what you have done so far. Keep us posted on the progress. As far as it looking Mickey Mouse I disagree. I think you have a foundation to finish this one up.
Thanks for the kind words. I was able to get some more hardware, and do a little more finishing this evening, and it will be strong, and functional..... Albeit a little on the ugly side. The up side is that when it is loaded you do not see it anyhow.

Hopefully in the next day, or two it will be trip ready so I can post some pics, and take a camping trip over the weekend.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:46 PM   #10
squiggy
Kat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas17013 View Post
I would watch Craigslist.... I have seen the small bandsaws for as little as $40.00. Makes it cheap enough to try it, and resell if it does not work.
I've seen them there as well and have thought exactly that too.

I've also considered making a variable speed control to regulate the speed of the blade.
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Touring 411