X

Help GSX1100F 1988 wont run

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help GSX1100F 1988 wont run

I am having issues with my 1988 Katana, Ill start with last year since I think it probably has relevance, Im not a mechanic but like to putter so bare with me.
    Last year she would run like a dream some days, bad on others, it would foul plugs after only a few 100KM's. I always thought it was fuel issue running too rich as the plugs were very black and sooty when changed out. Some days she was a brand new bike some days I had to ride the clutch and throttle just to keep her from stalling as rpms came down.

This year (I live in canada so she sat in a -30 garage during the winter) I tried to fire her up, no luck, turned over but nothing, pulled plugs, cleaned them, charged battery fully. It started first try with choke on, I ran it up to 4000 rpm, blew a bit of smoke popped abit. When it was running smooth I took off the choke reved abit and it wouldnt hold idle. Couldnt get it to start again so mad and tired walked away. (always remember to kiss me goodnight)LOL

Gave it a few days and went back to it, can get it to start and run if I give it some throttle on both choke and not, choke actually seems to make no difference and if I let the throttle off gently it stalls out. It will run if I keep throttle on and rpms at 2000 or above. So I started feeling around and here are my observations that hopefully can narrow it down.
    1) 2 right exhaust manifolds hot 2 left not, (will it run on 2 and if so what is causing the left 2, 1 & 2 not to fire)
    2) The fuel vacuum is sucking on and off (pulsing) even in prime position is this normal or should it be a constant pressure.

These are my observations, since Im not a mechanic I wont make a guess has anybody else experience this and any suggestions.

Thanks
    Sean

Oh I forgot I pulled plugs 1 & 2, 1 is a little black and dry, 2 is black and wet.
    Last edited by CanadianBigKat; 04-12-2011, 09:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Clean the carbs. You've got a clogged idle circuit and the enrichment (choke) circuit is gummed up, too.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Agree with Wild Bill.
      Just to add to your diagnostic conclusion, if you have soot on plugs you have spark. If it weren't sparking you'd have wet fouling. This is a generalization but holds true more often than not.

Comment

Just an update....been awhile but it was the carbs, had them torn down and cleaned, had some ripped diaphgrams too, not sure how much that was the problem but they were replaced. Runs like a champ afterwards......Thanks to those that responded and Merry Christmas.

Comment

Working...
        X