X

Custom Luggage Rack

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Luggage Rack

OK, since I couldn't source a rack for my 05 Kat to carry both panniers and top box (some make one or the other, or something that requires modifying anyway, or something not rated to carry serious loads), I decided to make one myself. In my true style, it probably won't end up particularly neat, but it will be strong and practical.

The pic story to date ...

Clearing the plastic ...

I have secured it to 6 points on the frame ...

Trial placement of top box ...

Some more cutting, welding, drilling - and no doubt, swearing to come ...

cool man! cant wait to see it done.
    what is that little grey box just to the left of your storage box. something for the ignition?
    "Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."

Comment

Originally posted by Snapp600 View Post
      what is that little grey box just to the left of your storage box?
      Cheers! If you're referring to the grey box with "Steal Mate" and the "CE" sticker ... that's the alarm / immobiliser. The circular siren is just in front of it.

Comment

The rack is now complete ...

Paint shop.

Frame fitted.

Loaded and ready to tour.

All up cost including consumables about $120 - plus a few days of messing around - and it seems to work a treat.

Comment

Looks plenty beefy to me. Really told the misses to f*** off with that rack for the little lock box, didn't you?
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Sweet touring rack for sure and price was right!! I started on one for my Kat and I did almost the same thing you did for the side rails mounting to the bike. My project kinda of got side tracked but I still have the rails and brackets hanging on the wall, some day I might finish it. Great job man !!
            2000 Katana 600
            2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

nicely done! now i think i am going to buy a welder and start practicing...
              "Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                Looks plenty beefy to me. Really told the misses to f*** off with that rack for the little lock box, didn't you?
                Sadly - or is that happily??? - there is no missus. But that little box is mainly for the dirty stuff - fuel additive, chain lube, spare oil, tools, rags etc. I may install a bigger box down the track - like a fishing tackle box??? - or I can use the rack to strap down camping gear. In any case, the bike is registered as a single seater which saves about 50% on fees, so I thought I might as well use the space for something useful. Spare oil is much more useful than my ex!

Originally posted by Astro4x4 View Post
                Sweet touring rack for sure and price was right!! I started on one for my Kat and I did almost the same thing you did for the side rails mounting to the bike. My project kinda of got side tracked but I still have the rails and brackets hanging on the wall, some day I might finish it. Great job man !!
                Cheers! Hope you finish yours. It opens up a whole new world of opportunities.

Originally posted by Snapp600 View Post
                nicely done! now i think i am going to buy a welder and start practicing...
                If you don't already have one - buy a MIG welder. My ancient arc welder was a pain with some of the lighter steel. But with a decent workshop (as the photos show, I don't have one - my ex-missus took that!) it would be quite an easy job.
                Last edited by TRPUT; 10-03-2011, 02:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Nice job

Comment

Nicely done, looks great!

Comment

Cheers guys!

Although now that the bike is ready for my planned 8000km tour over 4 weeks commencing in 2 weeks ... my riding buddy has pulled out due to serious health issues. Trip postponed.

Comment

what is a above passenger seat frame for?
                        nicely done!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FJCharlie View Post
                          what is a above passenger seat frame for?
                          nicely done!
                          Cheers Mate. See Post #8.

Comment

awesome job! I really wanted a sport touring bike but the deal I got on my pre-kat was so good I bought it. I really love the bike but there just doesn't seem to be much out there for equipping it for touring. I think I will follow your lead and build my own. What kind of luggage did you use? Think I am gonna make some handle bars that will sit me up a little more for those long rides

Comment

Originally posted by kc5qdf View Post
                              I really wanted a sport touring bike but the deal I got on my pre-kat was so good I bought it.
                              Errr.... just what kind of bike do you think the kat is?
                              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Working...
                              X