X

Carbon fiber for the masses

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phil823 View Post
    i am ALSO interested, but im more interested in little parts! these are the parts that might sell well and quickly also.

Post solo cowl - repeatable mold, will deff sell.
    post triple tree cover (the big metal piece by the ignition) - easily made, few bends
    post guage cluster cutout of some type, mabey a thin precut layout with 3m adhesive?

Mabey a bit challenging, but a POST Rear tire hugger with the chain guard would be badass, and you could use the alreay outthere molds.

little accents sell better i would think, and would be better mass made for selling, and less man hours to work with.
    I totaly agree. The small pieces will definatly sell. I will admit though that the best use for carbon fiber is for shedding weight. And to do that means making EVERY piece that can be carbon, big or small.

But these rare pieces are hard to come by. Most huggers and under tails are custom pieces that are made for one person and used on there bike. What I can do is make these pieces available for everyone many times over.
    I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
    -Unholy m-
    Current project: Un-Katchable
    sigpic

Comment

Good luck on the project but carbon is hard to work with for real intricate pieces. As was said, accent pieces would probably be more profitable and are alot easier to make.

Comment

Originally posted by Crash View Post
        Hey Chris we talked earlier in the chat. Looks like i'll be dropping some stuff off to you. I have a chain guard that i just picked up so i can drop that off to you since its a small simple piece. Then from there who knows but your not that far away from me so as long as i can ride the bike you can use any piece to make a mold from.
        Sweet. Materials are in the mail so I can't do much till then but those pieces would be great.

Just so people know I'll be making these parts on an individual basis and won't actually have them in stock. They will be made once I get an order for the most part so may take about a week or so to get to you. I will have a list available soon of items I can make. I'll have the prices as well. Maybe this small business could be added to the Katriders store?

Originally posted by chris216 View Post
        Good luck on the project but carbon is hard to work with for real intricate pieces. As was said, accent pieces would probably be more profitable and are alot easier to make.
        I have to say I'm a patient person and good with details. If something doesn't turn out right, I won't ship it.
        Last edited by chrisgreer23; 09-19-2010, 08:25 AM.
        I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
        -Unholy m-
        sigpic

Comment

Looking forward to seeing finished product pictures.
          I finally got home and get to ride my KAT!!!
          sigpic

Comment

carbon fiber swing armed gsxr 600

home page

articles: part 1

part 2

part 3

more articles on the media page.
            amazing articles and great engineering when into this project. i can't stop thinking about it, and i read it 5-6 months ago!
            Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
            Tony
            94 Katana 600

Comment

An empty shell

Got the guts out....

Lost part of a thumb nail in the process. I figure God gave me 9 others so I'm good. 19 others if you count my toe nails . I won't post pics of the nail.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by chrisgreer23; 09-19-2010, 10:35 AM.
              -Unholy m-
              sigpic

Comment

how about a CF valve cover? that would be cool!!
                Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                Tony
                94 Katana 600

Comment

The reason why I chose this part to make carbon fiber was because I ordered it a while back for my car and was disgusted with the finish. You can see every scratch! It's a brand new product! Not something thats been on a car out in the elements.

I've been meaning to get around to this for a while but procrastination seems to be my way of life. Now that I've moved back to the states from the UK my small family has been struggling financially. Hopefully this will bring in a few more pennies to help us and KR out. Plus I think a full cf Kat would be pimpin!

Oh, on a side note. After I get this up and running and start offering a steady service, I WILL post a tutorial complete step by step instructions, lists of materials and chemicals and techniques I've learned from my own experience. You'll learn how easy it is if you have the time/patience. I figure the people who have do have the time/patience, can do it for themselves while I work for the members who don't.

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
                  how about a CF valve cover? that would be cool!!
                  I've been thinking about adding a small signature into every mold I make. Kind of like a brand. I decided NOT to because I know I REALLY HATE it when I buy a product and it has the brand on it thats big and irremovable. I can't stand using a product that serves as free advertising. It's not right . So my products will be brand free.

For KR though, I can look at doing something like that. It all depends.
                  Last edited by chrisgreer23; 09-19-2010, 10:39 AM.
                  -Unholy m-
                  sigpic

Comment

Are you going to be able to replicate the mouting tabs on the inside of fairings? or just the main shape of the plastic. Because to a lot of us, the fairins without mounting tabs would be useless.

That being said, I'd LOVE to have a full set of carbon fiber fairings......
                    Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
                    '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

I also would love to have a full set of CF fairings. As long as the price wouldnt be crazy. I just removed all my fairings last night for some maintence. I'm not close to you but ide be willing to send them out as long as I can get a set back by spring.

Comment

So if say someone did not care about the way the finished product looked. would it be easier/quicker for you to produce the parts. Meaning as long as it were strong it would matter how the fibers crossed.
                        My Addiction (94 600 Kat)

Addicted to Modification since... 1995!
                        Electrical Tape, Zip-Ties, and Rivets are more like accents then eye sores.

Comment

Originally posted by Unholy_m View Post
                          So if say someone did not care about the way the finished product looked. would it be easier/quicker for you to produce the parts. Meaning as long as it were strong it would matter how the fibers crossed.
                          I think you would care. That is unless you were going to paint it. But that's hard to do correctly. Oh, and I'm a true perfectionist. If I'm not satisfied then I'll do it again or fix it.

Originally posted by fabguy View Post
                          I also would love to have a full set of CF fairings. As long as the price wouldnt be crazy. I just removed all my fairings last night for some maintence. I'm not close to you but ide be willing to send them out as long as I can get a set back by spring.
                          I wouldn't be able to promise that, nor would I take the job just yet. Let me get set up and running before I take orders. I'll be taking some smaller pieces for Crash to make some molds sense he is close. I would definitely need to figure the prices before anyone sent me parts.

Originally posted by BPryz View Post
                          Are you going to be able to replicate the mounting tabs on the inside of fairings? or just the main shape of the plastic. Because to a lot of us, the fairins without mounting tabs would be useless.

That being said, I'd LOVE to have a full set of carbon fiber fairings......
                          Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the mounting points are pretty much just holes in the plastic right? I've owned a pre and a post which I've taken apart and I didn't see much more then overlapping fairing pieces with wholes in them. I defiantly won't be shipping out pieces that just resembled the fairings. They would be full pieces ready to bolt straight on as direct replacements.

Now for the wholes I do plan on using metal washers inside the carbon sheets and the wholes will be drilled out before I ship them.
                          Last edited by chrisgreer23; 09-19-2010, 10:49 PM.
                          -Unholy m-
                          sigpic

Comment

No one will probably have to worry about the fairings since im close to Chris. The only fairing piece i dont have is the belly fairing which im working on getting. Everything else I would be more then wiling to let him borrow for however long.
                            Originally posted by chrisgreer23
                            Looks like Crash has lived up to his name.
                            2000 Kat 600 Totaled, Parting out WHAT DO YOU NEED
                            1983 Suzuki GR650- Sold
                            2006 Suzuki SV1000S- Gone but never forgotten
                            1967 Pontiac Firebird Convertible-The other project 350/4 spd and some stuff

Comment

Yeah painting, I have always loved the light weight of carbon but the look is not for me. Don't get me wrong as nice and sexy as it looks I just can't do it.
                              My Addiction (94 600 Kat)

Addicted to Modification since... 1995!
                              Electrical Tape, Zip-Ties, and Rivets are more like accents then eye sores.

Comment

Originally posted by Unholy_m View Post
                                Yeah painting, I have always loved the light weight of carbon but the look is not for me. Don't get me wrong as nice and sexy as it looks I just can't do it.
                                He he, I'll sell you the f'ed up pieces that don't come out right lol.
                                -Unholy m-
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X