X

my 3/4 shovel chop.. $0

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my 3/4 shovel chop.. $0

well, $0 assuming you can borrow a dremel, a drill, and some sandpaper.

I didn't want to remove the entire shovel just yet, as I kinda like it to hang a little. Plus, the plate is directly under the light.. been pulled over in texas before for not having the license plate light.

a) remove the plate, plate holder, and side reflectors.
    b) using the dremel, rough cut at max rpm (using one of those fiber-looking cutters) about an inch, maybe inch and a half below the plate, if the plate is positioned with its top edge directly below the light.
    c) the plastic melts like butter. cut again a little closer this time at a lower RPM
    d) go EVEN SLOWER for the next cut, almost to the minimum of the dremel.
    e) rough sand the entire bottom
    f) rough sand again
    g) fine sand it

h) repeat g until satisfied
    (h.5 - wash it to remove debris and reveal other deformities in the plastic.. i skipped this, you can always come back later and wash/sand more)
    i) okay, we're going to put the license plate holder back on, but not in the same place. turn it upside down and down about an inch. hold it on the shovel with your thumb and line up the holes so that the license plate top edge is flush along the back of the bike and drill holes in plastic for the screws. (reversing it changes the angle towards the center of the bike.. looks much better..)
    j) move the reflectors to the place indicated. i eyeballed it and drilled the holes.
    k) bask in the glory of your much reduced shovel.

i plan on going back with some finer sand paper and some soap to clean up the plastic a little more.. open to comments/suggestions
    Last edited by kharma; 11-14-2008, 11:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    joey b.

thats almost the exact way i did mine realized i could flip the holder got out the angle grinder and cut as close to the bits and pieces as i could drilled two holes and wallah
    voting member of the 750 kat as your first bike club

94 750 katana (my prechuuuusssss)
    82 1100 goldwing interstate (maybe a replacement for the kat)
    83 650 Yamaha maxim (will run some day)

Comment

ooOOoo.. purdy! =)
      the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
      # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
      [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

Comment

Working...
      X