X

Wheel Help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Help

I have a 1991 suzuki katana 600 I got a set of black stock wider wheels from a 2003. Start to do the install today pull stock 110/80-17 front wheel off. Go to install the black 2003 wheel with 120/70-17 tire. The front wheel bearing are a bit bigger on the 2003 wheel it fits but the axle from the 1991 is sloppy in the wheel bearings. the axle from the 2003 wont fit thu the front forks too big in Dia. So can I swap the wheel bearings from the 1991 katana install them into the 2003 black wider wheels? I swear I read on hear the swap was a easy one/ I dont know maybe I mis read it any help thanks #1 Moses

You sure you got the right wheel? When I swapped my Pre for 98+ wheels, I didnt have the problem you described. The front axel for the wheel I got fit perfectly.

Remember when you replace the back wheel, use the sprocket hub from the '91. The 98+ hub is offset just a little different and wont fit right.

Comment

Yes, you can swap in the pre-98 bearings into the 03 rim. Just to check my memory, is there a spot on your new front rim for the speedo? I thought they changed the front rims in 03 to the flat rotors and no more speedo hook up. I hope I am wrong, unless you don't care about having a speedo.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
      who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

the wheels different because it's an 03, 98-02 work just fine 03-06 DO NOT. Just wait until you get it all ready to go and then realize there is noting to drive the speedo drive. He got the right wheels, there Katana wheels no doubt, you just can't use 03-06 on a pre 98
        Last edited by arsenic; 06-03-2008, 02:54 AM.

Comment

On my 03 wheels I have a speedo drive "HUB"? it has four raised pieces as the 91 has two but the drive part with the cable fits in the 03 wheel fine. so IM going to match the bearings in the 03 with the axle from the 91.. It seem like the O.D of rhe bearings are real close I have not knocked them out yet. May have to go to rhe bearing place for a match up will see.

Comment

you can't swap the bearing from a pre to an 03, pre = 42mm OD, 03 = 40mm OD. You would have to get bearings made 15X40X12
            Last edited by arsenic; 06-03-2008, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Wheel Help

Well I pulled the back wheel off and the bearings and axle are the same size as the 03. Will be trying to fit it back together after some cleaning and repacking the wheel bearing. What type of grease for the rear roller bearing. Automotive disc brake wheel bearing grease seems too thin. the factory grease was thick white grease " Chrisco" Ha ha. How do you knock out the front wheel bearings from ehe wheel hub? Thanks for your input guys and a big thanks to Arsenic.....

Comment

the rear wheel is the same, the front wheel is not. An extension and a hammer knocks those bearings right out

Comment

Thanks Arsenic But I cant get any thing to hit against. Im trying to drive thu the wheel and knock the bearing out but I have ni lip to hit against. Just a small split between the bearing and the center of the hun its that way on both sides. Ive been working on it a good bit this morning and it wont move a hair!!!

Comment

yeah, I know that's how it is, and there certainly is a lip to catch.

Comment

Ok Ill give her HllllllllllllllllllLLL

Comment

sounds good

Comment

Ive got the wheel bearings out! Tanks to my Kroil "The oil that creeps" Great stuff www.kanolabs.com Its Kinda Hard to find so I order on line. I may just change out the front forks I have them already just need the upper triple tree. i think this will be a better solution as space is tight so I will need a upper triple and a new front fender 03 if any one has thse parts ontact me thanks

Comment

I dont know where our other posts went but you ask about distance of the 03 front forks center to center its 8 1/8 inches. cannot find the correct size bearing to install in 03 front wheel to use 1991 axle the O.D of the 1991 wheel bearing is larger that the O.D of the 2003 wheel. So i may have the 2003 bore on wheel opened up at a machine shop to take the 1991 size bearing. Use the same 1991 axle etc. still thinking abut it as I have another bike to ride during this project!!!

Comment

I think replacing the forks would be a better idea..... and then you'd have newer forks, it's win/win!
                              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Working...
                              X