X

Rescued an abused machine - shift question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rescued an abused machine - shift question

Hi all, first post. I recently bought a 94 Katana that was pretty banged up. I am in the process of repairing a lot of neglect.
    I put about 1600 km on the bike in one long highway trip a month ago (its at 39000km now), and mechanically it worked great, but it was only about 10 degrees above freezing. Now that it is spring weather, I have an issue shifting from neutral to 1st. It feels different all of a sudden. The bike ticks as I put pressure to shift, then clunks into gear. From 1st to 2nd it clunks too. The rest seems the same as before.
    It was suggested that I switch oils, so I went with stock suzuki oil. There is no pull when I shift into gear with the clutch in, just that ticking and clunk. Perhaps something broke inside?

I appreciate any assistance.

Ok , shifting cold is gonna feel stiffer . Make sure clutch is properly adjusted . that's probably all you gotta do . There's a sticky or how-to on adjusting the clutch . Look for THAT .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

BE CAREFUL!
      I had a similar problem with getting it into first while racing an 88 Kat.
      I was able to get it into gear a few times with some fighting kiks with the heel.
      However, the last time it did it, I was on the starting line and was revved ready to go and as the green light came on and I added clutch, I wouldn't move!!!!
      I ended blowing the gearbox and avoiding being it by everyone NARROWLY!
      What happened will never be known as the box fairly enjoyed itself getting parts together that under normal circumstances would never have ever met each other!

Comment

yea sumtimes i fight with my gears too

Comment

Working...
        X