Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Can i swap a post rear shock pivot into my pre? want to raise the rear!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can i swap a post rear shock pivot into my pre? want to raise the rear!

I want to swap a post 98+ rear shock pivot into my pre, the post's are wider at the dog bone mount which will allow a much easier design of the dog bones to raise the rear of my pre.

That way I can make a set of dog bones roughly 3/8" shorter than stock that will allow the rear to be raised about 1.5". Im not really comfortable with someone welding the stock cast dog bones. If I could Tig or mid weld them I would but Ive never welded cast before.

I just dont know if the post will bolt up in a pre's swing arm.

this is the part im referring too
    1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
    fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
    55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
    R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
    Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Originally posted by 91_gsx600F katana View Post
    I want to swap a post 98+ rear shock pivot into my pre, the post's are wider at the dog bone mount which will allow a much easier design of the dog bones to raise the rear of my pre.

That way I can make a set of dog bones roughly 3/8" shorter than stock that will allow the rear to be raised about 1.5". Im not really comfortable with someone welding the stock cast dog bones. If I could Tig or mid weld them I would but Ive never welded cast before.

I just dont know if the post will bolt up in a pre's swing arm.

this is the part im referring too
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Suzuki-...-/300732177932
    Simple answer is No.

More complicated answer... The frame pivot points are the same, so you can swap the entire rear suspension into the Pre from the Post with what I would call minor modifications.

This would need to include the swingarm, links, cushion. The mods include shaving the swingarm pivot down a few mm on either side to fit into the Pre frame, and adjusting for the swingarm brake line tab/brake torque arm being on the bottom of the swingarm instead of the top as on the pre. The swingarm will also be longer, so you will need to adjust the chain length (new chain).

While it sounds like a lot, if you basically acquire all the parts from a post... you can swap them right in and not really have any issues.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

hmm makes sense Krey. I wonder if it would just be easier to make new dog bones for the pre lol.

There is an adjustable set on ebay for like $85 I think but its for lowering so i Assume the length of the adjustable set is longer than stock.

Comment

hmm makes sense Krey. I wonder if it would just be easier to make new dog bones for the pre lol.

There is an adjustable set on ebay for like $85 I think but its for lowering so i Assume the length of the adjustable set is longer than stock.

Contact them, and confirm if you can use it or they have a set you can use for raising the bike.

also... I've seen several sets of the pre links that were cut/welded... Up to you.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Can you flip the pivot over that will give some raise ?

Comment

Originally posted by phils kat 01 View Post
            Can you flip the pivot over that will give some raise ?
            It is not possible to mount the cushion to the rest of the linkage in any way other than it was designed to be, with out major modifications to the mounting points.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              Contact them, and confirm if you can use it or they have a set you can use for raising the bike.

also... I've seen several sets of the pre links that were cut/welded... Up to you.

Krey
              But welding cast is not really all the best correct? You have to use a different technique. Im not the best welder or have expereince with cast but I can TIG and MIG pretty well on steel etc. Just never have done cast before.

Comment

But welding cast is not really all the best correct? You have to use a different technique. Im not the best welder or have expereince with cast but I can TIG and MIG pretty well on steel etc. Just never have done cast before.
                That all depends on many many factors. It's possible to do and do right on the links. I don't think I personally have the knowledge to cover ever aspect to ensure you do it right from a web post. A good pro welder should be able to do it though.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Comment

Ok, thanks krey.

these are what I have been looking at.

the post versions dont have a rod end at the top (due to the offset nature of the pre pivot) and cost only 85$!!! ugh. an extra 50$ for the pre just due to the rod ends.

Comment

Ok, thanks krey.

these are what I have been looking at.

the post versions dont have a rod end at the top (due to the offset nature of the pre pivot) and cost only 85$!!! ugh. an extra 50$ for the pre just due to the rod ends.

I've seen those online, but have yet to ever mess with them in person. I've been told by others that the adjustment/locking mech they used to keep them locked in place is almost impossible to reach with the wheel on though, fyi.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Comment

Just heard back from soupies, they said they would make me a set of custom ones for an extra 35$ so a total cost of $166 plus shipping...

I was looking at that actually. There is no room at the top of the swing arm (top mounting points) at all with the wheel on. Adjustments would have to be at the bottom but getting the jam nuts loose at the top mounting point would be a huge PITA!

Comment

The stock dogbones are cast iron? Just wondering.

Comment

I think the dog bones are stamped steel. The knuckle is cast.
                          -Steve

sigpic
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

On the pre? You sure? Kinda look like cast. Just want to kno material for welding purposes

Comment

On the pre? You sure? Kinda look like cast. Just want to kno material for welding purposes

I do not know the specific carbon content of the material used to make them. They have casting marks on them to make me also think they are cast in a form. That does not mean nesasarily that they are so high in carbon content that they would be considered "cast iron". They may still be in the steel range.

I'm betting there is a simple test that can be done to verify that, if it was really nessasary to set your mind at ease.

krey
                              93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                              X