X

Just rescued a kat off the side of the road

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just rescued a kat off the side of the road

Found a rescue on Craigslist. It was laid down doing 70. After a couple of weeks in my ER my frankenstine Kat is taking me back and forth from work. This was the only way I could afford one, not to mention the satisfaction of bringing it back to life. Suki is now mechanically and structurally sound with the exception of a questionable front rim (it does not leak any air but it has a nasty lip bend. That being said please point me in the right direction to find a used one at a low price. I have an 2006 600, my rotors are still good, The tire needs to be replaced so if it comes balance with rubber that would be a plus.

Thanks in Advance

Travis

U can find some good deals on eBay. Also do a google for used bike parts. I found several places by me that strip bikes down and sell them a lot like a junk yards but much more organized. But those places are hit or miss on parts
    ----USMC combat vet----
    07 Yamaha r6s & 93 Kat streetfighter project

Comment

Welcome and congrats on the find. Check out the for sale section here and ebay. You can use a rim off any 1998-2006 Kat. I wouldn't trust a used tire off ebay, though. At the very least, check the date code on it before you try riding on it.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
        Welcome and congrats on the find. Check out the for sale section here and ebay. You can use a rim off any 1998-2006 Kat. I wouldn't trust a used tire off ebay, though. At the very least, check the date code on it before you try riding on it.
        Are you sure about that? The forks changed for 03-06, and I believe that also changed the brakes. I think at least the rotors are different, not sure about the wheel itself.

Comment

Hmmmm... OK, where's Kreylyn when you need him?

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I believe that's where dished .vs flat rotors changed. I really don't know if the wheels are any different. With the forks, that's when it changed from having essentially a long bolt as an axle with a castle nut, to a ... different kind of bolt, with a hex socket that gets torqued down, and then pinched by the fork. But that is the extent of my knowledge on that subject.

Comment

I thought the difference between the 98-02 wheels and the 03-06 ones was just that the earlier ones still had the lugs for a mechanical speedo drive even though the bike had an electronic speedo.

Again, where's Kreylyn? Travman, post a couple of hello's in the introductions section or just post a couple of times telling us about yourself and maybe posting some photos of the bike (or you if you look good in a swimsuit ) and then send Kreylyn a private message asking this if he hasn't chimed in by then.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

The wheels are different for the 03-06 Kats. They used a different hub size. So that does narrow the search a little bit.
                1992- project katfighter
                2005- GSXR750
                2001- TL1000R
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Almost as good as Kreylyn. Just without the sarcastic wife for comedy relief!

Kidding, Nancie, just kidding. Please don't kill me.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Welcome and Congrats

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                      Almost as good as Kreylyn. Just without the sarcastic wife for comedy relief!

Kidding, Nancie, just kidding. Please don't kill me.
                      That's why you guys keep me around, comic relief!

I consider "sarcastic" a compliment.
                      Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

thanks for the info guys. that helped alot, I will get some pics up soon. I found a good lead on a stripped rim that hopefully will have all the same bolt patterns for my rotor, the part numbers look very close.

Comment

Welcome to KR

Comment

welcome and kudos to you for a rescue
                            im an american proud and free , a son of the south dont tread on me.

Comment

Working...
                            X