X

Chain not staying tight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain not staying tight

I had a really loose chain on my 2000 kat when i bought it, even though the guy i bought it from said he had had it tightened in December, and i bought the bike on FEB 1, and somewhat needed a new tire anyway, so i took it in and had them change it out and they tightened the chain, its already loose again. Anyone else have a prob with the chain not staying tight?

Might be time for a new chain.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

i had problems with my chain not staying tight 3 days after i bought it. took it back to the dealer the jerk offs said "its gotta be changed" and then they highjacked my bike and had to get a ride home from about 45-60 minutes out.

time for a new chain. id probably get new sprockets too.

Comment

seriously? a new freakin chain? thats wild i would hav figured it would have been the bolts that tighten it or something

Comment

oh can someone tell me best place to get a new chain? and a new sprocket? Id like to upgrade the sprocket to something to make the bike have a little more low end, if i could...since im gonna have it off anyway...any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by phlash
            seriously? a new freakin chain? thats wild i would hav figured it would have been the bolts that tighten it or something
            If you keep adjusting, and the chain keeps getting loose... it means something is either wrong with the chain, or the axle bolts aren't torqued properly.
            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by phlash
              oh can someone tell me best place to get a new chain? and a new sprocket? Id like to upgrade the sprocket to something to make the bike have a little more low end, if i could...since im gonna have it off anyway...any suggestions?
              If you aren't going to do the install yourself, call around to some local shops. They will usually cut you a deal on the install when you buy the kit from them. Also, some shops won't install chains not purchased from them.
              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

im going to take it back to the dealer where i had the tire installed, and make them tighten it one more time to make sure its not the chain. If it gets loose again, well then, time for a new one. If I do the install myself can you recomend a place to get a kit from?

Comment

I bought mine from here

Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul!!!
                  Drop a knee,drop a gear, just don't drop the bike!!!!!

Comment

and how do you like this chain/sprocket setup?

Comment

Put your bike on the centerstand and check the chain tension every 5 inches. If it alternates between tight and loose then the chain needs to be replaced. If a link is sticky or worn it will stick giving tension down below and loose up top. It will seem like the chain is tight when you stop in the right spot. But rotate the wheel another 10 inches its as loose as the daytime hooker on "Earl". Couple of years ago it drove me nuts trying to figure out what the frig was wrong until I actually saw the stuck link. Ed at my shop called me a big fat turd for not checking the chain good BEFORE cleaning, not just AFTER cleaning. I figured that I'd see a problem better after cleaning. All I was doing was cleaning and lubing the kink out for 20 miles, thinking it was fine, then getting ticked off when it was screwed up again. I'm going through two chains a year now.
                      sigpic

Comment

two chains a year?! JESUS SON!

Comment

wow, if your busa goes through 2 chains a year i'm afraid to ask how many rear tires it eats.
                          I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
                          http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

You COULD mark the chain aligner deals with a pencil or something to make SURE the axle ain't pulling forward on you . If it ain't , and the chain's still getting loose , yeah , new chain . And sprockets while you're in there . I'll do it for a new tool (my choice) and some pizza if you wanna come down .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

My experience also is that when the chain is dying it stretches fast.

Zukibud, how was the service from sumofallparts?

Comment

Working...
                              X