X

Adjusting Headlight Alignment

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting Headlight Alignment

Can anyone out there tell me which knobs on a 98+ Kat point the headlight spot out? The lowbeams are pointed way to low so I want to point them further down the road. I tried adjusting the knobs tonight, but I did not see any big changes. I tried adjusting them with the bike on the centerstand in my dark driveway. Should I see the spot moving as I rotate the knobs? I assume that one knob adjusts the tilt of the light and the other moves the light from side to side. Do the two left knobs set the left head light? Or do the two top knobs control one direction and the lower knobs control the other direction?

Well , I've seen two knobs on the 98+ , and just one on the pre98 , so I assumed that the knob ONLY adjusts the height .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Since mine needed adjusting, I ran out there real quick and started turning. The bottom right knob adjusts the right-side up/down. The others didn't seem to do anything, so I grabbed a flashlight and started poking around. It would seem that my lowside broke the headlight assembly in several places , so I'm now in the market for a new one (98+) . That's another $250 that I don't have

To make it easier, try unplugging one light while working on the other.

/kiba
      find / -name "*your base*" -exec chown us:us {} \;

You must realize that someday you will die-until you know that, you are useless

If you can't make it fit with a sledge hammer, don't force it!

Comment

Ok, I just pulled mine apart. There is a ball joint in the top center (one for each side) and the knobs are really long screws that attach to the corners of the light. As sitting on the bike, the top right knob controls the right side '/ ' (NOT - or | ) direction, bottom right knob controls the right side '|' direction, top left knob controls the left side '\' direction, and the bottom left knob controls the left side '|' direction.

Sooooo, to move the right side straight up/down, turn the bottom right knob. To move it right, screw in (clockwise) the top right knob (this moves it up and to the right) while screwing in the bottom right knob (moves it back down).

Again, unplug the side you are not working on so you can see exactly how the light's moving.

/kiba
        find / -name "*your base*" -exec chown us:us {} \;

You must realize that someday you will die-until you know that, you are useless

If you can't make it fit with a sledge hammer, don't force it!

Comment

Originally posted by md86
          Well , I've seen two knobs on the 98+ , and just one on the pre98 , so I assumed that the knob ONLY adjusts the height .
          Matt my bike, a 2003, has four knobs. One in each corner of the head light assembly.

Kiba thanks for the info and the advice about disconnecting one bulb. I will give it a shot.

I hate to replace a working bulb, but I think I may try to pick up some Silverstars before I start messing with the adjustment.

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
            Originally posted by md86
            Matt my bike, a 2003, has four knobs. One in each corner of the head light assembly.

Kiba thanks for the info and the advice about disconnecting one bulb. I will give it a shot.

I hate to replace a working bulb, but I think I may try to pick up some Silverstars before I start messing with the adjustment.
            You will like those SIlverstars

Can we maybe Sticky this for the Adjustment info???
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

Good stuff, thanks for posting it up for everyone. 8)

Comment

How NOT to adjust a headlight

Come home after a 12 hour shift at job and decide to play with bike.
                94 750. Some year gauge panel from a 600 spliced in.
                No clue what year light is in it, bike was wrecked by original owner and rebuilt. It had two knobs, one lower left, one upper right.

Taking the bike for valve adjustment and oil change tomorrow, so I was pulling the screen and fairings off. Hey, while I am messing around, lets adjust the headlamp ! Like somebody else posted on here, the low beam was only about 20' out, then it was total darkness. Lets fix it !

Pulling fairings off, all the clippy things are rusty enough and all the fairings are brittle enough that .... well, lets just say I have ANOTHER project before the bodywork goes back on. Sigh.

Fairings and screen off. Found the headlamp adjuster thingies and started playing. Turn turn turn, play play play. Whoops, it's not moving anymore .... oh, I screwed it far enough it lost the adjuster retainer. Duh.

Unbolt headlamp. Stare in abject horror at the splice job of the dashboard. I really really really didn't need to know how bad it was wired, because now I've got to FIX it. Some other time.

Ever seen a colorblind guy trace wires? Think monkey, romance, football.

Anywhos, pull the headlamp out and wiggle wiggle wiggle the connector loose. Pull the bulb out and discover I broke the clippy thingie that holds the bulb tight. Judas Priest, I'm an idiot. Sigh.

Get the adjuster screws back into place, bend the clippy thing into a new shape that will hold the bulb. Plug it in, and before I test anything, lets completely bolt the headlamp back in place.

Start bike. Lowbeam. Turn on highbeam, bike dies.
                repeat. Bike dies

Dammit!

Remove headlamp, unplug headlamp, replug headlamp. Start bike with headlamp loose. Lowbeam, Highbeam. WTF

Don't care at this point. Bolt back together. Fire bike up .... testing, testing ... stays running. Make note to self to test charging system to make sure I didn't fry anything tomorrow.

CAREFULLY adjust headlamp.

Ride up and down road noticing that being able to see more then 20' ahead really takes some of the terror out of night riding.

Boy, I'm glad I'm paying somebody to adjust the valves at this point ....

Comment

This link should also help http://motorcyclistonline.com/howto/...dlight_aiming/
                  R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Working...
                  X